Xavi Vierge’s hopes of a strong finish in front of his home fans at the Spanish GP at Jerez were cruelly cut short after he was involved in a multi-rider collision at turn six on the second lap whilst dicing near the front of the field.
After the incident, the Spanish rider returned to the pits and rejoined the race but he was eventually forced to retire on the 16th lap.
Position: DNF – Championship: 10th – Points: 25
“I am pleased with how the weekend went but I can’t hide my disappointed about today’s result. This track was tricky for the team and me, but in every session, I did everything that I could to improve. I qualified well, and it was my best of the year, and I felt confident for the GP because my rhythm was positive. I made a really good start and reached 3rd at the second corner. Then, I pushed to try and stay with the leading bikes, but unfortunately, another rider crashed and collided with me. This is a big shame because I could have achieved a good result for the team, and most importantly, I could have collected a lot of points. Nevertheless, I must stay positive and I will return stronger so that the next GP will be more successful.”
- FIM CEV Repsol, Valencia: Poles for López, Granado, Gómez and Sardanyons in season finale November 18, 2017
- DNF for Alvaro Bautista at Valencia November 12, 2017
- Jorge Navarro crashes out of Valencia season closer November 12, 2017
- Valencia sees victory for Dani Pedrosa and title for Marc Márquez November 12, 2017
- Miracle Mir makes stunning Valencia comeback to finish 2nd November 12, 2017
- Jorge Martin takes maiden victory in Valencia November 12, 2017
- Go #BIG6 and go home: Marquez celebrates in Cervera! November 18, 2017
- Poles for López, Granado and Gómez in Valencia finale November 18, 2017
- Oliveira ends Jerez test on top November 17, 2017
- KTM: "The progress is amazing and the promise is huge" November 17, 2017
- Difficult beginnings for Suzuki - but with some positives November 17, 2017
- Bagnaia quickest, Mir fastest rookie at Jerez November 16, 2017