The more than 40°C on the Spanish asphalt had a heavy impact on performance during the Spain GP, a fact that is clear from the numerous crashes despite a less than blinding pace. In these difficult conditions, Aleix Espargaró exploited his experience, riding the number 41 Aprilia RS-GP to a ninth place finish and earning important championship points.
The Spanish rider tackled the early part of the race cautiously, not pushing too hard and aiming for consistent performance. It was a strategy that paid off: twelfth place on the starting grid and fourteenth on the first lap, Aleix maintained nerves of steel and, thanks in part to a few crashes, he earned a well-deserved top-10 finish.
Thanks to the placement today, Aprilia moves up a position in the manufacturer standings, now lying in fourth place.
“The race today was one of the most difficult ones of my career. The conditions were truly difficult. It was very easy to crash. After a few laps I even reduced my lean angle. The sliders on my leathers are almost unused and that is something that has never happened for me. I tried to catch up to Folger, but when I saw that the gap was not decreasing I preferred maintaining my position without taking any pointless risks. The result today is important. A top-10 finish after two weekends without any points and in such treacherous conditions is a morale booster. In any case, we need to keep working. Tomorrow we will be on the track again with a lot of things to test in order to grow the RS-GP.”
- Albert Arenas picks up hard earned point in Texas April 22, 2018
- Arón Canet finishes eighth in Austin April 22, 2018
- Superb races by Alex Márquez and Joan Mir in Texas April 22, 2018
- WorldSBK Assen, Sunday roundup: World Superbike, World Supersport, WorldSSP300 April 22, 2018
- Alex Márquez qualifies on pole position in Texas, Joan Mir starts from 5th April 22, 2018
- Marc Marquez takes pole at Austin but will start from 4th on the grid, Dani Pedrosa grabs 3rd row start April 22, 2018
- Viñales on Yamaha: “We’re coming” April 22, 2018
- Through the pain barrier: Pedrosa's superhuman performance April 22, 2018
- Bagnaia vs Marquez: a battle royal in Austin April 22, 2018
- Closing in at COTA: Marquez takes Texas, Dovi takes the lead April 22, 2018
- Martin pulls the pin to perfection in a classic Texan tangle April 22, 2018
- Viñales on Marquez' tail in Texas Warm Up April 22, 2018