The Mallorcan talent claimed third after a dramatic Gran Premio de España, 23 breath-taking laps decided in the final corner.
At 11 o’clock, the lights at Jerez de la Frontera went out, starting at the fourth race of the 2017 season. Joan Mir immediately gained two positions while Loi was held back by traffic. Immediately in the first meters of the first lap, the championship leader made a big break through three opponents at Turn 6, while behind him there was contact between Suzuki and Antonelli.
Followed by KTM teammates Ramirez and Binder, and Mir was looking safe in fourth place. The fight was tight: there were just 12 riders within 1.7 seconds.
There were four in command of the show but on the 10th lap Binder slipped at the last bend, reappearing in 23rd position. In the middle of the race, three Spanish riders alternated leading their home GP. Joan Mir was second with his fellows Ramirez and Canet close, as Fenati was lurking.
Three laps from the end, Fenati returned to the front and tried to break away. Mir followed him and tried to break away from the likes of Canet and Ramirez: these four riders were the undisputed protagonists of this thrilling Grand Prix.
The last lap was a spectacular one: this came after a big moment, Mir using all of his skill to remain on his Honda. Mir crossed the line in third place behind Canet and Fenati, maintaining his leadership of the Moto3 by 9 points over the Italian.
#36 Joan Mir – 3rd:
“I’m satisfied, but not entirely happy. We kept a good strategy for the race, focused at all times. I knew I could handle it better. In the last lap I wanted to open a small gap in T3 and T4, but I almost fell down and Romano [Fenati] passed me. In the last curve I braked hard to pass him but I did not notice Canet inside: I did not have a rear view mirror to know to close the door! [Laughs]. The third position is still a positive result and brings valuable points to us.”
- Video: CEV Repsol, Estoril: ETC race 2 highlights July 25, 2017
- Video: CEV Repsol, Estoril: ETC race 1 highlights July 25, 2017
- Video: CEV Repsol, Estoril: Moto2 race 2 highlights July 25, 2017
- Video: CEV Repsol, Estoril: Moto2 race 1 highlights July 25, 2017
- Video: CEV Repsol, Estoril: Moto3 race highlights July 25, 2017
- FIM CEV Repsol: Foggia, Granado and González consolidate leads after wins in Estoril along with Melgar July 24, 2017
- VR46 Master Camp talent take to the flat track July 25, 2017
- New students embark on Yamaha VR46 Master Camp Adventure July 24, 2017
- Foggia, Granado, Melgar and González win in Estoril July 24, 2017
- GP Recap: A double for Dovizioso at Catalunya July 23, 2017
- Fernández, Tulovic and González quickest in Portugal July 22, 2017
- Binder: “Every time I get on the bike I feel better” July 21, 2017