Jorge Lorenzo scored his first podium for Ducati with a third place finish in the Spanish Grand Prix which was held today at Jerez de la Frontera.
The rider from Mallorca, who started from row 3 after qualifying eighth on Saturday, produced an excellent race, moving up from eighth to fourth in the first six laps. Lorenzo then passed Zarco on lap 12 and continued to increase his lead over the French rider, crossing the line with around three seconds’ advantage.
With today’s third place for Lorenzo, the Ducati Team has reached a total of 100 podiums in MotoGP. In the overall standings, Dovizioso is now fifth with 41 points, while Lorenzo moves up to ninth with 28 points.
MotoGP will be back in action again in a couple of weeks time, at the Le Mans circuit in France from 19 to 21 May.
Jorge Lorenzo (Ducati Team #99) – 3rd
“A podium here at Jerez, in front of all my fans and after three complicated races, is the best present I could receive for my thirtieth birthday. It’s a result that gives me more satisfaction than many wins I scored in the past, because it was very difficult to achieve. To finish third on a Ducati at a traditionally difficult circuit for the Desmosedici is incredible! Honestly, I didn’t expect to be able to fight for the podium, and the choice of front tyre was the key. The start was a bit chaotic because of the number of riders ahead of me but I didn’t give up so easily and believed that I could recover to overtake Zarco and finish third. The last few months have been tough, but the most important thing is that I’ve always believed in myself and that the team has shown its full trust in me.”
- Aragon GP, raceday roundup – MotoGP, Moto2, Moto3 September 24, 2017
- Alex Rins finihes 17th in Aragon September 24, 2017
- Maverick Viñales raced to hard-fought 4th in Aragon September 24, 2017
- Master-class race for Marquez and Pedrosa, first and second at Motorland Aragon September 24, 2017
- Podium finish for Jorge Lorenzo in Aragon September 24, 2017
- Jorge Martin 4th in Aragon September 24, 2017
- Rossi: “Until a week ago I didn’t know if I could race" September 24, 2017
- Pedrosa: “I didn’t know how the race would develop” September 24, 2017
- Marquez: “I took a lot of risk” September 24, 2017
- Lorenzo: “The victory is very close!” September 24, 2017
- First and second to Aleix Viu ends the season in Aragon September 24, 2017
- Tipping the scales: Marquez stamps his authority on Aragon September 24, 2017