Under scorching conditions, the team’s Axel Pons ran through niggling issues during Sunday’s Moto2™ battle at southern Spain’s Circuito de Jerez to come home in tenth.
Race day for the series round four was accompanied by great weather with temperatures reached up to 28 degrees at lunch time. Pons, who qualified P10 on the grid, lost several positions at the start due to some grip problems but was able to fight back soon after.
The Barcelona born rider made it through the top ten positions until he lost ninth place in the very last corner. Sunday’s P10 in Spain was the team’s second top ten finished since RW Racing enters the intermediate class at the end of last season.
The World Championship move over to Le Mans now for the French Grand Prix in two weeks.
#49 Axel PONS, 10th (Championship position 16th, 12 points):
“Well, this tenth is not so bad. But, we still struggle a lot with a very low grip situation since the last races. In the morning, in cooler temperatures, we are feeling really good, but as soon the conditions are getting warmer or hot like this weekend, it’s really difficult to ride the bike and let it roll with a decent speed through the corners. During today’s race, we had more or less the same grip level, with a little bit less towards the end, as the lap times dropped down which was clearly to see. Overall, however, it was a hard race because I touched another rider at the beginning and then I was leading my group all the way which was physically and mentally very demanding because firstly, of the heat and the low grip situation, etc., so it was easy to make mistakes. But we managed to remain cool and to bring this top ten home. It’s quite ok but obviously, we have to look at ourselves and try to improve all this things that we didn’t perfect so far.”
- Alex Rins DNF at Circuit Of The Americas April 23, 2018
- Amazing fifth place for Iker Lecuona in Texas April 23, 2018
- Tito Rabat conquers eighth in a great Texas fight April 23, 2018
- Points for Pol Espargaro in Texas April 23, 2018
- Maverick Viñales cruises to second at COTA April 23, 2018
- Jorge Lorenzo ends the Texan race in eleventh April 23, 2018
- Under the radar: Miller overcomes injury in Texas April 24, 2018
- More points for KTM in Texas April 24, 2018
- Aprilia on track testing at COTA April 23, 2018
- Crutchlow remains close in the standings despite COTA crash April 23, 2018
- Leader of the pack: Dovi weighs in after the Americas GP April 23, 2018
- Two Americans selected for Yamaha VR46 Master Camp April 23, 2018