In the midst of an exciting comeback ride that had taken him from the 18th spot on the starting grid all the way to eighth place, Aleix Espargaró was forced to throw in the towel just five laps from the end due to a breakdown – currently being investigated by the team – that shut down the V4 on his RS-GP.
It was a race that, even with the unlucky outcome, confirms all of his value and that of his Aprilia that had never had a similar problem in two seasons and that had served him so well, allowing him to catch up position by position and lap at increasingly interesting times. As has happened in the past, the second half of the race was becoming the hunting grounds for Aleix, motivated to reap those results that had seemed to be within reach on several occasions in this first part of the season. Even in the morning Warm Up session, Espargaró had ridden an RS-GP that seemed more and more convincing just behind the leaders.
“It was a difficult race. Starting so far back does not make things easy. Battling for the top 10 demands maximum concentration. I have to give 100% the entire weekend. In the race I was competitive. After overtaking Miller I was making up ground on Lorenzo and lapping very fast but unfortunately the engine failed just a few laps from the end. A real disappointment. We are working much better than our position in the standings would lead to believe. Unfortunately, this is part of racing. The team and I will continue to give 100% and to work nonstop as we have up to now.”
- WorldSBK Assen, Day 2: Rea roars to eighth consecutive TT Assen win April 21, 2018
- Alvaro Bautista sets to work on difficult day one in Austin April 21, 2018
- Marc Marquez second-fastest at a dusty Austin track, Dani Pedrosa a brave 10th April 21, 2018
- Red Bull Grand Prix of the Americas, free practice roundup: MotoGP, Moto2, Moto3 April 21, 2018
- Alex Rins shows strong pace in Texas April 21, 2018
- Jorge Lorenzo 7th in practice for Texas GP April 21, 2018
- Front row qualifying for "surprised" McPhee April 21, 2018
- Sparks fly as Viñales leads the rebellion at the AmericasGP! April 21, 2018
- Masterful Marquez edges out Lowes in QP April 21, 2018
- Perfect ten: Martin takes pole in mad dash to slicks April 21, 2018
- Pol Espargaro takes first KTM Q2 of the year April 21, 2018
- Marquez top, but Viñales right in the hunt in FP4 April 21, 2018