With an excellent FP3 session where he even led the provisional standings, battling with the best and finishing with a time of 1’47.173 just over six tenths from the leader, Aleix Espargaró went straight through to Q2.
In the final, decisive session that defines the top spots on the starting grid for the Italian GP, a crash during the first lap compromised Aleix’s qualifying, so with only five laps done, the best in 1’47.475, he will start tomorrow from the twelfth spot on the fourth row of the grid. This is a good placement which, however, does not reflect the true value of the Espargaró/RS-GP package, capable of doing decidedly better times in practices. But the good race pace and the satisfaction drawn from the performance that the Aprilia has achieved on a challenging track like only Mugello can be, make Aleix and the entire Aprilia Racing Team Gresini optimistic about the race tomorrow.
“I am obviously disappointed with the way qualifying went because the RS-GP is working well this weekend. This race is important for the team and I am giving 100% in every session. Unfortunately, I crashed unexpectedly as I was following Maverick, so I wasn’t able to take advantage of my good lap. It’s a pity because I had the right feeling to be able to battle for the first or second row, a position that would have been a fantastic gift for all the guys at Aprilia. In any case, with used tyres, our pace is really good. In the race we will definitely be able to have our say.”
- FIM CEV Repsol back in action for Round 2 at Valencia April 25, 2018
- Alex Rins DNF at Circuit Of The Americas April 23, 2018
- Amazing fifth place for Iker Lecuona in Texas April 23, 2018
- Tito Rabat conquers eighth in a great Texas fight April 23, 2018
- Points for Pol Espargaro in Texas April 23, 2018
- Maverick Viñales cruises to second at COTA April 23, 2018
- Marquez has Rossi and Agostini records in sight April 26, 2018
- Octo Telematics announced as title sponsor for San Marino GP April 26, 2018
- Motegi test for Suzuki and Guintoli April 26, 2018
- Nakagami: “finishing as top rookie is a nice feeling” April 25, 2018
- Is Bagnaia the man to beat in Moto2™? April 25, 2018
- Leaders will be leaders April 25, 2018