Team Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS riders Franco Morbidelli and Álex Márquez were the undoubted stars of the show in today’s Moto2 qualifying session at the spectacular Mugello track in Italy.
Márquez looked well set to take top spot when he fired in a stunning early lap of 1’51.715 that kept him at the top of the standings until Morbidelli’s late heroics.
Márquez though was still delighted to secure his fifth front row start in six races this season, with Team Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS celebrating its third qualifying 1-2 of a dominant 2017 campaign.
Despite missing out on pole position by just 0.036s, Márquez is confident he can battle Morbidelli for the win in what is anticipated to be the first 100,000 plus crowd for the Italian Grand Prix at Mugello tomorrow.
Álex Márquez: 2nd – 1’51.715
“I am happy to be on the front row again and it was very close to being pole position. I think we made the perfect strategy to attack in the first laps and I’m happy because my best lap was done all on my own. I knew even after only three laps when I did my best time that the only way my time could be beaten would be with the help of a slipstream and that’s what happened. Second is still a good result but I am expecting a hard race for both the body and the bike. It will be physically demanding in the hot conditions and we need to pay attention to the tyres because in the heat the grip is not so easy to find. But I am confident I can fight for the win in the home of my teammate!”
Source – Marc VDS
- Alex Rins DNF at Circuit Of The Americas April 23, 2018
- Amazing fifth place for Iker Lecuona in Texas April 23, 2018
- Tito Rabat conquers eighth in a great Texas fight April 23, 2018
- Points for Pol Espargaro in Texas April 23, 2018
- Maverick Viñales cruises to second at COTA April 23, 2018
- Jorge Lorenzo ends the Texan race in eleventh April 23, 2018
- Under the radar: Miller overcomes injury in Texas April 24, 2018
- More points for KTM in Texas April 24, 2018
- Aprilia on track testing at COTA April 23, 2018
- Crutchlow remains close in the standings despite COTA crash April 23, 2018
- Leader of the pack: Dovi weighs in after the Americas GP April 23, 2018
- Two Americans selected for Yamaha VR46 Master Camp April 23, 2018