Qualifying for the Moto3 Italian Grand Prix took place this Saturday at Mugello, and it was not until the final second that the pole position was decided. Jorge Martín (1:57.176) took the top spot for the fourth time this season. The grid was later adjusted due to a series of penalties applied to riders by Race Direction, for riding too slowly as they waited for a tow. Due to this, John McPhee will start from pole, joined by Joan Mir and Fabio di Giannantonio on the front row. The second row consists of Nicolo Bulega, Juanfran Guevara and Romano Fenati.
For the Mahindra Aspar riders, qualifying was more difficult than expected. Both members of team had been consistent during the free practice sessions, but were not able to clock a strong one-off lap. Despite this, were their best sectors to be combined, they would have placed on the third row. Lorenzo dalla Porta lamented not being able to match the pace he had yesterday, but will start from 18th position and will try to climb up the order, using the strength of the Mahindra chassis. Albert Arenas closed the day satisfied with the feeling he achieved at the end of qualifying, and expects to be able to gain places in a race that is traditionally run in large groups.
19th Albert Arenas 1:58.418 (10 laps):
“I managed to feel comfortable with the setup in the last ten minutes of qualifying, something I had not managed either yesterday or this morning. It’s a shame because we did not get a perfect lap, but we have some leeway in terms of lap times. I felt good and aggressive in qualifying, but we will start a little far back I’m sure it will be a race run in a group. It will be my first time here, so I’ll try to adapt to the maximum and complete a good race.”
- Alex Rins DNF at Circuit Of The Americas April 23, 2018
- Amazing fifth place for Iker Lecuona in Texas April 23, 2018
- Tito Rabat conquers eighth in a great Texas fight April 23, 2018
- Points for Pol Espargaro in Texas April 23, 2018
- Maverick Viñales cruises to second at COTA April 23, 2018
- Jorge Lorenzo ends the Texan race in eleventh April 23, 2018
- Aprilia on track testing at COTA April 23, 2018
- Crutchlow remains close in the standings despite COTA crash April 23, 2018
- Leader of the pack: Dovi weighs in after the Americas GP April 23, 2018
- Two Americans selected for Yamaha VR46 Master Camp April 23, 2018
- Elias strikes back in Race 2 April 23, 2018
- Behind the scenes of the official MotoGP™ videogame April 23, 2018