After showing a stunning pace in Free Practice 3, Movistar Yamaha MotoGP’s Maverick Viñales and Valentino Rossi promoted to Q2 and flexed their muscles at the Autodromo del Mugello circuit in the fight for pole position. The teammates secured first and second place respectively on the grid for tomorrow’s Gran Premio d’Italia Oakley.
Having amended the setting of his bike to his liking in FP4, Viñales knew what he had to do to get the job done today. He was quick to leave pit lane as qualifying got underway and he didn‘t hold back. He put in a 1’47.271s on his second flying lap to slot into second place before returning to the box with seven minutes on the clock, but he knew he had more in store for the second stint.
Back on the track, one and half minute later, it was the Spaniard’s time to shine. He dominated the field with his third hot lap, a 1’46.575s, to take first place in the rankings. His lap remained unbeaten over the remainder of the session, earning Viñales his third pole of the season, with his teammate coming within 0.239s of his time.
“Qualifying was really special and very nice. I gave my 100% and the bike was working really well and I did my best. Honestly, I‘m so pleased with the work of the team, because we did a really good job in FP4. We modified the bike in a better way and we improved, so I‘m quite happy about that.”
- Albert Arenas picks up hard earned point in Texas April 22, 2018
- Arón Canet finishes eighth in Austin April 22, 2018
- Superb races by Alex Márquez and Joan Mir in Texas April 22, 2018
- WorldSBK Assen, Sunday roundup: World Superbike, World Supersport, WorldSSP300 April 22, 2018
- Alex Márquez qualifies on pole position in Texas, Joan Mir starts from 5th April 22, 2018
- Marc Marquez takes pole at Austin but will start from 4th on the grid, Dani Pedrosa grabs 3rd row start April 22, 2018
- Blast off for KTM in Austin April 22, 2018
- Crutchlow: “We have better pace than guys around us” April 22, 2018
- 10 reasons to watch the AmericasGP April 22, 2018
- Front row qualifying for "surprised" McPhee April 21, 2018
- Rossi: the man with the race pace? April 21, 2018
- Iannone takes a front row and starring role in the drama April 21, 2018