The MotoGP World Championship reached a third distance for the season today with Italian riders setting the standard at Mugello. Andrea Dovizioso completed a home victory treble started by Andrea Migno in Moto3 and Mattia Pasini in Moto2.
The Ducati rider took his third MotoGP victory and presented the Borgo Panigale factory with a first win of the season in a race he started from the front row. Dovizioso gradually consolidated his position in the front group until, at the start of lap 14 of a total of 23, he took a lead he would not relinquish.
Behind, Maverick Viñales, Valentino Rossi and Ducati independent rider Danilo Petrucci fought for the rest of the podium positions, which finally went to the Spaniard and Petrucci.
Pull & Bear Aspar rider Álvaro Bautista completed the top five with a great performance at Mugello. Bautista brought the Pull & Bear Aspar Team back to the top 5 after a brilliant race that saw him gradually close in on the front and finish just three seconds from the podium.
The Spaniard started the race with a clear goal of just making sure of a finish, so was a little tense in the first few turns. Once he loosened up he dispatched of the likes of Jorge Lorenzo and Marc Márquez to claim fifth and spark the celebrations in the Pull & Bear Aspar garage.
5th Álvaro Bautista:
“Today it was important to make it to the end of the race, after the two non-finishes in the last two races in Jerez and Le Mans, where we could have done well. We needed to finish. I had good pace, but I lost some positions at the beginning because I was a little stiff. Then, I started to relax and pick up my rhythm, and little by little I was passing the riders ahead. When I caught Marc Márquez, I thought about pushing to see if I could leave him behind, but he hooked on and it was difficult. Lap by lap the variation in the gap to the lead was very small but it served as reference. On the last lap, I tried to close all the doors to prevent him passing me, I did it and now I can say I finished fifth. I am happy to finish the race and especially to do it in this way. This was a real fifth position, not down to problems for other riders like in Argentina, where we were fourth. It gives us a real boost of morale for Barcelona.”
- Albert Arenas picks up hard earned point in Texas April 22, 2018
- Arón Canet finishes eighth in Austin April 22, 2018
- Superb races by Alex Márquez and Joan Mir in Texas April 22, 2018
- WorldSBK Assen, Sunday roundup: World Superbike, World Supersport, WorldSSP300 April 22, 2018
- Alex Márquez qualifies on pole position in Texas, Joan Mir starts from 5th April 22, 2018
- Marc Marquez takes pole at Austin but will start from 4th on the grid, Dani Pedrosa grabs 3rd row start April 22, 2018
- Viñales on Yamaha: “We’re coming” April 22, 2018
- Through the pain barrier: Pedrosa's superhuman performance April 22, 2018
- Bagnaia vs Marquez: a battle royal in Austin April 22, 2018
- Closing in at COTA: Marquez takes Texas, Dovi takes the lead April 22, 2018
- Martin pulls the pin to perfection in a classic Texan tangle April 22, 2018
- Viñales on Marquez' tail in Texas Warm Up April 22, 2018