Few imagined that the Red Bull KTM Ajo team would be able to take a fifth and a tenth position at Mugello this Sunday, after the difficulties experienced by Miguel Oliveira and Brad Binder the previous two days. Oliveira placed inside the Top 5 for the fourth time this year, whilst teammate Binder made an heroic charge to move up thirteen places. The Italian Grand Prix was his return to action after three races out through injury.
Miguel Oliveira saved his best for Sunday in the race. He made a good start, gaining two places in the first sector and completing the first lap in sixth. Unfortunately, a duel with home rider Marini allowed the lead group to break away, and despite Oliveira having a pace to match them, the distance was too large and he had to settle for fifth position.
After the first Italian round of the season, Miguel Oliveira is fourth in the overall standings with 70 points. The next race will be held next weekend at the Barcelona-Catalunya Circuit.
44 Miguel Oliveira
“During the first few laps I lost a lot of time behind Marini; whenever I tried to pass, he returned the move and we lost a lot of time compared to the four in front of us. Later, when I had overtaken him, there was a lot of distance to the front riders and although I had a good pace I couldn’t catch them. I’m happy about the work we did this weekend; it was a difficult circuit, but we have consolidated fourth place in the World Championship and I am satisfied with that. There is no time to rest, so from today we have to think about Barcelona.”
- Albert Arenas picks up hard earned point in Texas April 22, 2018
- Arón Canet finishes eighth in Austin April 22, 2018
- Superb races by Alex Márquez and Joan Mir in Texas April 22, 2018
- WorldSBK Assen, Sunday roundup: World Superbike, World Supersport, WorldSSP300 April 22, 2018
- Alex Márquez qualifies on pole position in Texas, Joan Mir starts from 5th April 22, 2018
- Marc Marquez takes pole at Austin but will start from 4th on the grid, Dani Pedrosa grabs 3rd row start April 22, 2018
- Viñales on Yamaha: “We’re coming” April 22, 2018
- Through the pain barrier: Pedrosa's superhuman performance April 22, 2018
- Bagnaia vs Marquez: a battle royal in Austin April 22, 2018
- Closing in at COTA: Marquez takes Texas, Dovi takes the lead April 22, 2018
- Martin pulls the pin to perfection in a classic Texan tangle April 22, 2018
- Viñales on Marquez' tail in Texas Warm Up April 22, 2018