Team Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS have announced that they have agreed a three-year deal with Joan Mir that will see the Moto3 sensation step up to the Moto2 category in 2018.
Mir made an immediate impact on the Moto3 World Championship on his arrival in 2016, winning the Austrian Grand Prix on his way to finishing fifth in the championship and securing the Rookie of the Year award at the end of the season.
This year the Mallorcan has been the dominant force in Moto3, the most closely contested of all three Grand Prix classes.
Mir opened the 2017 season with back-to-back wins in Qatar and Argentina, following that up with a third place in Spain and another victory in France. It is this form that has given the 19-year-old a 34-point advantage at the top of the Moto3 World Championship standings after six of 18 races.
Michael Bartholemy: Team Principal
“We’ve had our eye on Joan for quite some time, first in CEV and then in Moto3 when he made his debut in the World Championship. We saw right at the start of last year that he had the talent, drive and determination to be a championship contender and he’s proved us right this season. I am looking forward to welcoming him into the team and I am confident that the combination of his talent and our technical staff will ensure a smooth and rapid transition from Moto3 championship contender to Moto2 frontrunner.”
Marc van der Straten: President, Marc VDS Racing Team
“I am happy that we have secured a rider of Joan Mir’s calibre for the future and I am proud that he chose us as the team with which to make his step up to the intermediate class. We are a results driven team and our track record shows that, but we are also a racing family and we value certain personal qualities as highly as we value performance. Having spoken with Joan this weekend, I am certain that we’ve made the right choice on all levels and I am looking forward to welcoming him to the Marc VDS family next season.”
Source: Marc VDS Racing
- Albert Arenas picks up hard earned point in Texas April 22, 2018
- Arón Canet finishes eighth in Austin April 22, 2018
- Superb races by Alex Márquez and Joan Mir in Texas April 22, 2018
- WorldSBK Assen, Sunday roundup: World Superbike, World Supersport, WorldSSP300 April 22, 2018
- Alex Márquez qualifies on pole position in Texas, Joan Mir starts from 5th April 22, 2018
- Marc Marquez takes pole at Austin but will start from 4th on the grid, Dani Pedrosa grabs 3rd row start April 22, 2018
- Blast off for KTM in Austin April 22, 2018
- Crutchlow: “We have better pace than guys around us” April 22, 2018
- 10 reasons to watch the AmericasGP April 22, 2018
- Front row qualifying for "surprised" McPhee April 21, 2018
- Rossi: the man with the race pace? April 21, 2018
- Iannone takes a front row and starring role in the drama April 21, 2018