Andrea Dovizioso made it back to back wins for the first time in his career in Barcelona.
The Ducati rider, who topped the podium in the Italian Grand Prix a week ago, produced another masterful performance in Catalunya, holding out for half the race behind Dani Pedrosa and Marc Márquez before making his move and charging to his second victory of the year, which leaves him just seven points behind series leader Maverick Viñales, tenth today.
Alongside the Italian on the podium were the two men directly behind him in the championship with Marquez second and Pedrosa third. Jorge Lorenzo, who led the early stages of the race, dropped back to eighth place before launching a comeback to fourth.
Álvaro Bautista and Aspar teammate Karel Abraham more than met their targets in Barcelona. The Pull&Bear Aspar riders reached the finish in seventh and fourteenth place respectively, adding valuable points to their season tally.
Bautista finished in the top seven for the third time this season and is now eleventh overall, recovering much of the ground lost at Jerez and Le Mans. The Spaniard again rode conservatively over the first few laps to avoid unnecessary wear on the tyres and then fought it out for a hard-earned seventh place.
7th Álvaro Bautista:
“The race was tough. We made a good start and over the first few laps I did not want to push the tyres too much because I knew I would need them at the end. I got passed a few times and even though I had the urge to pass back, I opted to hold back. Then I could feel that little by little the tyres were getting worse. In the final part of the race I was close to a few guys but I lost the front at the end of the straight and couldn’t battle with them over the final few laps. Also the rear was gone by then but we finished and we have done it for a second consecutive race near the front. Let’s see if we can continue like this for the next races.”
- Albert Arenas picks up hard earned point in Texas April 22, 2018
- Arón Canet finishes eighth in Austin April 22, 2018
- Superb races by Alex Márquez and Joan Mir in Texas April 22, 2018
- WorldSBK Assen, Sunday roundup: World Superbike, World Supersport, WorldSSP300 April 22, 2018
- Alex Márquez qualifies on pole position in Texas, Joan Mir starts from 5th April 22, 2018
- Marc Marquez takes pole at Austin but will start from 4th on the grid, Dani Pedrosa grabs 3rd row start April 22, 2018
- Viñales on Yamaha: “We’re coming” April 22, 2018
- Through the pain barrier: Pedrosa's superhuman performance April 22, 2018
- Bagnaia vs Marquez: a battle royal in Austin April 22, 2018
- Closing in at COTA: Marquez takes Texas, Dovi takes the lead April 22, 2018
- Martin pulls the pin to perfection in a classic Texan tangle April 22, 2018
- Viñales on Marquez' tail in Texas Warm Up April 22, 2018