Track temperatures of 50ºC provided a huge challenge to overcome for the Moto2 riders in the seventh race of the year, held at the Barcelona-Catalunya Circuit. Miguel Oliveira claimed a second consecutive Top 5 finish on his 100th Grand Prix appearance, whilst Red Bull KTM Ajo teammate Brad Binder was eighteenth in another show of improvement.
Oliveira got off to a great start, gaining two positions on the first sector. A few laps in, the Portuguese was up into fourth, in a group with three other riders battling for second place. He maintained the position throughout the remaining 23 laps, pushing hard late on and placing just 9 tenths off the podium.
After these two consecutive weeks of racing, Miguel Oliveira has cut the gap to the series leader to 40 points and remains fourth with 83 points.
44 Miguel Oliveira:
“It was quite a difficult race. In fact, practically until just before the warm-up we didn’t know which tyres we were going to run. It was a gamble, although we opted for the option that most riders used. It was tough, because we never had grip, right from the beginning. It seems that only Alex Marquez found a way to get the bike going well all weekend, and he did a great job. We have taken a lot of valuable information and now we have two days of testing that will be of much help.”
- Alex Rins DNF at Circuit Of The Americas April 23, 2018
- Amazing fifth place for Iker Lecuona in Texas April 23, 2018
- Tito Rabat conquers eighth in a great Texas fight April 23, 2018
- Points for Pol Espargaro in Texas April 23, 2018
- Maverick Viñales cruises to second at COTA April 23, 2018
- Jorge Lorenzo ends the Texan race in eleventh April 23, 2018
- Under the radar: Miller overcomes injury in Texas April 24, 2018
- More points for KTM in Texas April 24, 2018
- Aprilia on track testing at COTA April 23, 2018
- Crutchlow remains close in the standings despite COTA crash April 23, 2018
- Leader of the pack: Dovi weighs in after the Americas GP April 23, 2018
- Two Americans selected for Yamaha VR46 Master Camp April 23, 2018