Great summer weather over the course of the weekend in the northern part of Spain was a nice accompaniment for most people but the high temperatures were demanding for the riders. At the time of the Moto2 race values up to 32 degrees were seen on the thermometers.
For Axel Pons the circumstances were a nightmare as the Barcelona born rider was still suffering from poor fitness. The 26-year-old couldn’t benefit from his excellent starting position as he struggled with lack of power like he did in Mugello one week ago.
Pons and the Dutch team are now looking forward to a two-weeks break before the series moves to the TT Circuit in the Netherlands for the team’s home race.
#49 Axel PONS, 19th (Championship position 19th, 13 points):
“It was such a tough race again, foremost because I suffered a lot with my physical condition. In addition, I made a bad start but then I realized that the suspension was a bit too soft for these conditions at the beginning. This was why I couldn’t move forward. After four or five laps, though till then I pushed like a hell, it was the starting point when I lost a lot of energy. This means that I wasn’t able to make pressure on the foot rest in order to push the rear tyre. Therefore, the bike was sliding a lot but I tried and did my best to gain lost time under breaking but this was costly in terms of losing further power. In the end, this race was a nightmare because I’m still not fit enough to compete at this high level. I will my visit my doctors again because we must find a solution for these issues quickly. The positive thing is that we have a longer break until the Assen race. So, I will try to relax and reload energy even if I don’t know what to do more to get fully fit again. But as said, we will do our utmost to head to Assen much stronger than here.”
- WorldSBK Assen, Day 2: Rea roars to eighth consecutive TT Assen win April 21, 2018
- Alvaro Bautista sets to work on difficult day one in Austin April 21, 2018
- Marc Marquez second-fastest at a dusty Austin track, Dani Pedrosa a brave 10th April 21, 2018
- Red Bull Grand Prix of the Americas, free practice roundup: MotoGP, Moto2, Moto3 April 21, 2018
- Alex Rins shows strong pace in Texas April 21, 2018
- Jorge Lorenzo 7th in practice for Texas GP April 21, 2018
- Front row qualifying for "surprised" McPhee April 21, 2018
- Sparks fly as Viñales leads the rebellion at the AmericasGP! April 21, 2018
- Masterful Marquez edges out Lowes in QP April 21, 2018
- Perfect ten: Martin takes pole in mad dash to slicks April 21, 2018
- Pol Espargaro takes first KTM Q2 of the year April 21, 2018
- Marquez top, but Viñales right in the hunt in FP4 April 21, 2018