The Dutch TT saw a return to winning ways for Valentino Rossi. The Italian took his first victory since June of 2016, beating Danilo Petrucci and Marc Márquez in a race led by poleman Johann Zarco for the first half.
A crash for Maverick Viñales and fifth place for Andrea Dovizioso closes the gap at the top of the overall standings, with four riders within 11 points of each other. Dovizioso is the new leader with 115 points, 4 ahead of Viñales, 7 ahead of Rossi and 11 ahead of Márquez. In seven days’ time, the MotoGP riders will be back competing at the German GP –the final race before the summer break.
Álvaro Bautista was up into sixth place when he crashed out, twelve laps from the end of the race and just before the rain started to fall. The Spaniard, who been in fifth at the start of the race and remained in the top eight until the crash, is now turning his attention to Sachsenring after an unfortunate Dutch TT.
Álvaro Bautista (DNF):
“These things happen in racing, but this year we are working well and we don’t deserve this slump. The race was about waiting to see what happened, because we had barely ridden in the dry. On the first few laps I tried to be more cautious and not take many risks. Then we had a nice fight with several riders. The group stretched out a little, I was going at my own pace and suddenly at Turn 5 I lost the front. There’s no reason I can give as to why I crashed. I feel bad, because we are doing things right, but we lack that little something to help us finish the races and be up there, because we have the potential. We were riding well, I was comfortable, and at the least I could have finished in the top six. Physically I am OK, my morale is a little hurt, but the next race comes around soon and I’m sure that in Germany we will recover and regain a good feeling.”
- Alex Rins DNF at Circuit Of The Americas April 23, 2018
- Amazing fifth place for Iker Lecuona in Texas April 23, 2018
- Tito Rabat conquers eighth in a great Texas fight April 23, 2018
- Points for Pol Espargaro in Texas April 23, 2018
- Maverick Viñales cruises to second at COTA April 23, 2018
- Jorge Lorenzo ends the Texan race in eleventh April 23, 2018
- Under the radar: Miller overcomes injury in Texas April 24, 2018
- More points for KTM in Texas April 24, 2018
- Aprilia on track testing at COTA April 23, 2018
- Crutchlow remains close in the standings despite COTA crash April 23, 2018
- Leader of the pack: Dovi weighs in after the Americas GP April 23, 2018
- Two Americans selected for Yamaha VR46 Master Camp April 23, 2018