Aprilia started off well in the MotoGP weekend that will lead up to the German GP, scheduled for Sunday on the Sachsenring. In the first free practice session (FP1), which was held on a perfectly dry track, Aleix Espargaró stayed consistently in the top end of the rankings, battling with the best and finishing with an excellent fourth place (1’21.832, just over two tenths of a second behind the leader) which, as confirmation of the great progress the RS-GP has made, is the best placement the Italian bike has made in a session valid for deciding the starting grid order.
The second session, on the other hand, was held on a wet track due to the rain which, faithful to the weather forecast, fell before and during the session. But even in these conditions, the RS-GP demonstrated the great balance it has achieved and, ridden by Aleix, took a final fifth place with a time of 1’28.527.
“I am very happy. I don’t really love the layout of this circuit, but I’ve always benn fast here and once again today I was fast both on the dry track and in the wet. This morning we tried to do as much work as possible with the tyres. Given the risk of rain, it was important to gather information, and I was competitive with the various combinations. The new asphalt has really good grip. We’ll see what the weather is like tomorrow, but I can say that I am satisfied with what we have demonstrated thus far.”
- Alex Rins DNF at Circuit Of The Americas April 23, 2018
- Amazing fifth place for Iker Lecuona in Texas April 23, 2018
- Tito Rabat conquers eighth in a great Texas fight April 23, 2018
- Points for Pol Espargaro in Texas April 23, 2018
- Maverick Viñales cruises to second at COTA April 23, 2018
- Jorge Lorenzo ends the Texan race in eleventh April 23, 2018
- Under the radar: Miller overcomes injury in Texas April 24, 2018
- More points for KTM in Texas April 24, 2018
- Aprilia on track testing at COTA April 23, 2018
- Crutchlow remains close in the standings despite COTA crash April 23, 2018
- Leader of the pack: Dovi weighs in after the Americas GP April 23, 2018
- Two Americans selected for Yamaha VR46 Master Camp April 23, 2018