Aleix Espargaró and his Aprilia were key players in the Saturday qualifiers for the German GP that will be held tomorrow on the Sachsenring circuit.
Fully confirming his positive trend from Friday, when he stayed consistently with the leaders in all weather conditions, Espargaró finished the morning free practice, held in dry conditions, with an excellent fourth place time of 1’21.209 that opened the doors for him to go straight through to Q2, the qualifying sessions with the twelve best riders.
The rain, always looming over the Saxon circuit, arrived before the qualifiers which were therefore held in wet conditions. Even in this situation, Aleix confirmed his potential by staying with the leaders, finishing with the eighth best time (1’28.526) which places him on the third row of the starting grid tomorrow. This is a good position that confirms the level reached by the RS-GP and leaves the Aprilia Racing Team Gresini rider’s ambitions intact of bringing home an important result in the race after the good placements achieved in practice here and in the previous rounds.
“Eighth place is not bad but I was aiming to do better, given how competitive I was in all the sessions. Tomorrow I am hoping for a dry race. We have the best pace of the season, but I stopped watching the weather forecast because it is basically useless here. Analysing the situation well and choosing the right tyre will be essential. The asphalt dries out very quickly here, so we will need to be smart in deciding the best strategy.”
- Albert Arenas picks up hard earned point in Texas April 22, 2018
- Arón Canet finishes eighth in Austin April 22, 2018
- Superb races by Alex Márquez and Joan Mir in Texas April 22, 2018
- WorldSBK Assen, Sunday roundup: World Superbike, World Supersport, WorldSSP300 April 22, 2018
- Alex Márquez qualifies on pole position in Texas, Joan Mir starts from 5th April 22, 2018
- Marc Marquez takes pole at Austin but will start from 4th on the grid, Dani Pedrosa grabs 3rd row start April 22, 2018
- Blast off for KTM in Austin April 22, 2018
- Crutchlow: “We have better pace than guys around us” April 22, 2018
- 10 reasons to watch the AmericasGP April 22, 2018
- Front row qualifying for "surprised" McPhee April 21, 2018
- Rossi: the man with the race pace? April 21, 2018
- Iannone takes a front row and starring role in the drama April 21, 2018