After three dry Free Practice sessions, the Red Bull KTM Ajo team riders were presented with wet conditions for qualifying at Sachsenring on Saturday. Having set a good dry pace in FP3, Miguel Oliveira finished 6th in the afternoon session to decide the grid order, taking a step forward in the wet.
In the morning, both riders made progress in the dry, improving their times from Friday. Both Oliveira and Binder were in the Top 10 during the first few moments of FP3, the South African clocking his best time of 1:25.567 to eventually place 20th. Oliveira finished 5th after completing 24 laps, setting his best time on his last outing -1:24.769.
Qualifying was held in the wet, and Oliveira headed the timesheets from the start of the session until past the midway mark. After a spell in which the rain became more intense and the riders returned to the pits, Oliveira and Binder went back out and improved their times in the final stretch of QP. The Portuguese set a 1:32.801, placing 6th.
With the weather forecasts uncertain for Sunday, the Red Bull KTM Ajo team will be prepared for any eventuality when the lights go out at 12:20pm local time.
44 Miguel Oliveira:
“I’m going to focus on the positive from today, which is that we have improved a lot in wet conditions. We led the way for much of the qualifying session, but then it started to rain and when we went back out on track we gradually lowered our times. I sincerely believe that I lacked a push on my last three laps. At the beginning I had another rider behind me and I didn’t want to give him a tow, and on the last two laps I tried to push my hardest to improve the lap time but it was not possible. In any case, the second row is not bad. Tomorrow we will give everything to have a good race, either in the dry or the wet, and collect another Top 5 finish.”
- Alex Rins DNF at Circuit Of The Americas April 23, 2018
- Amazing fifth place for Iker Lecuona in Texas April 23, 2018
- Tito Rabat conquers eighth in a great Texas fight April 23, 2018
- Points for Pol Espargaro in Texas April 23, 2018
- Maverick Viñales cruises to second at COTA April 23, 2018
- Jorge Lorenzo ends the Texan race in eleventh April 23, 2018
- Aprilia on track testing at COTA April 23, 2018
- Crutchlow remains close in the standings despite COTA crash April 23, 2018
- Leader of the pack: Dovi weighs in after the Americas GP April 23, 2018
- Two Americans selected for Yamaha VR46 Master Camp April 23, 2018
- Elias strikes back in Race 2 April 23, 2018
- Behind the scenes of the official MotoGP™ videogame April 23, 2018