Team Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS celebrated its fourth one-two in Moto2 qualifying this year after Franco Morbidelli stormed to a dramatic pole position ahead of teammate Álex Márquez in a rain dominated qualifying session in Germany this afternoon.
The 45-minute session commenced on a drying track after earlier heavy downpours had saturated Sachsenring’s 3.671km new surface.
The rain halted in time for Morbidelli and Márquez to engage in a tense and nail-biting shootout for pole position on a rapidly drying surface, which the Italian won with a daring final lap of 1’32.159.
Márquez expertly judged where he could push in treacherous conditions in the latter stages of the session and his skills were rewarded with a crucial front row start, vital at Sachsenring, which is notoriously tough to overtake on given its tight and twisty nature.
Álex Márquez: 2nd – 1’32.412:
“I have mixed emotions right now because I felt I had done enough for pole position, but honestly I have to be happy to be on the front row. In the dry it has not been easy for me to be as competitive as I would like. We made a step this morning and I was hoping we could make more progress in a dry qualifying session. The conditions were very difficult and it was easy to make a mistake, so you had to judge perfectly how hard you could push. I lost a bit of time with Manzi on my final lap but the front row is still a very positive result.”
Source – Marc VDS
- FIM CEV Repsol back in action for Round 2 at Valencia April 25, 2018
- Alex Rins DNF at Circuit Of The Americas April 23, 2018
- Amazing fifth place for Iker Lecuona in Texas April 23, 2018
- Tito Rabat conquers eighth in a great Texas fight April 23, 2018
- Points for Pol Espargaro in Texas April 23, 2018
- Maverick Viñales cruises to second at COTA April 23, 2018
- Marquez has Rossi and Agostini records in sight April 26, 2018
- Octo Telematics announced as title sponsor for San Marino GP April 26, 2018
- Motegi test for Suzuki and Guintoli April 26, 2018
- Nakagami: “finishing as top rookie is a nice feeling” April 25, 2018
- Is Bagnaia the man to beat in Moto2™? April 25, 2018
- Leaders will be leaders April 25, 2018