The Red Bull KTM Ajo team rounded off the first half of the Moto2 season in Germany with their best weekend of the year to date. Miguel Oliveira fought for KTM’s first victory in the intermediate class, leading the race one lap from the end and eventually finishing second.
The beginning of the race wasn’t easy for Oliveira, as he lost contact with the front three. He gradually upped his pace, setting a new circuit record of 1:24.483 in the process, and could catch the leaders with 13 laps remaining. Alongside Franco Morbidelli for the rest of the race, Oliveira led the way coming into the final lap, although he would finally conclude the contest in second.
Halfway through the season, Oliveira is 3rd overall with 114 points and three podiums, while Binder is 17th with 25 points. The Moto2 World Championship now takes a one-month break, before returning to action on August 4th-6th with the Czech Republic GP.
44 Miguel Oliveira:
“Today Franco [Morbidelli] was very strong under braking. I tried to overtake him on the downhill section a couple of times and also during the last lap, but it wasn’t to be. In any case, we are very strong and have already taken many Top 5 finishes this year. I had been wanting to return to the podium for the last two races, and here we have taken another small step forward towards the top positions. The whole weekend has been amazing; I am very happy for the whole team and for myself. Now we will use the holidays to rest and to analyse what we have done so far. It is incredible that we are third in the World Championship; it is something we weren’t expecting and we will try to continue with this positive dynamic to continue to take good results.”
- Alex Rins DNF at Circuit Of The Americas April 23, 2018
- Amazing fifth place for Iker Lecuona in Texas April 23, 2018
- Tito Rabat conquers eighth in a great Texas fight April 23, 2018
- Points for Pol Espargaro in Texas April 23, 2018
- Maverick Viñales cruises to second at COTA April 23, 2018
- Jorge Lorenzo ends the Texan race in eleventh April 23, 2018
- Under the radar: Miller overcomes injury in Texas April 24, 2018
- More points for KTM in Texas April 24, 2018
- Aprilia on track testing at COTA April 23, 2018
- Crutchlow remains close in the standings despite COTA crash April 23, 2018
- Leader of the pack: Dovi weighs in after the Americas GP April 23, 2018
- Two Americans selected for Yamaha VR46 Master Camp April 23, 2018