It was an excellent race for Aleix Espargaró who rode his Aprilia RS-GP to seventh place. With this nice race result, the Spaniard closes out a weekend where he was consistently among the protagonists. Starting from the third row (eighth best time qualifying), Aleix quickly moved in the group of riders battling for the top five. In this stage of the race he battled fearlessly with some of the riders who are leading the championship standings, supported well by his RS-GP which once again confirmed the great progress that the Aprilia MotoGP project has demonstrated in this first half of the season.
After a few failed assaults, Aleix clinched his final pass at the end of the penultimate lap, overtaking Dovizioso to finish with a nice seventh place. The fifth best race lap time set by Espargaró (1’21.981) adds concrete confirmation and an element of satisfaction to a result that send the entire Aprilia Racing Team Gresini into the holiday break with a smile.
“A good result, but to be honest I expected something even more. With the exception of Jonas and Marc, who did an extraordinary race, I thought that I could have been closer to the podium. Unfortunately, at the beginning I had to force a lot to overtake, stressing the front tyre and losing a few tenths. In any case, it was a positive weekend for us. We are progressing step by step. Staying with the strongest riders for almost the entire race is positive. Now I am thinking about relaxing during the break and being ready when we turn up at Brno.”
- Albert Arenas picks up hard earned point in Texas April 22, 2018
- Arón Canet finishes eighth in Austin April 22, 2018
- Superb races by Alex Márquez and Joan Mir in Texas April 22, 2018
- WorldSBK Assen, Sunday roundup: World Superbike, World Supersport, WorldSSP300 April 22, 2018
- Alex Márquez qualifies on pole position in Texas, Joan Mir starts from 5th April 22, 2018
- Marc Marquez takes pole at Austin but will start from 4th on the grid, Dani Pedrosa grabs 3rd row start April 22, 2018
- Viñales on Yamaha: “We’re coming” April 22, 2018
- Through the pain barrier: Pedrosa's superhuman performance April 22, 2018
- Bagnaia vs Marquez: a battle royal in Austin April 22, 2018
- Closing in at COTA: Marquez takes Texas, Dovi takes the lead April 22, 2018
- Martin pulls the pin to perfection in a classic Texan tangle April 22, 2018
- Viñales on Marquez' tail in Texas Warm Up April 22, 2018