After wet and dry conditions all weekend, all three riders had something to smile about after the Sachsenring race with pace, data gathered and a great qualifying result from Saturday when Pol Espargaro was 7th, gaining KTM’s best grid position to date. The No.44 KTM RC16 fought hard in the race being up to 12th with just a few laps to go to ultimately cross the line in 13th. Encouragingly, the gap in time to the winner of the race equated to a touch over a second a lap in difference after the thirty laps showing progress considering the bikes had never seen the Sachsenring circuit before.
“Honestly it was a great weekend as we did a good job in qualifying but really, the team did a superb job really from the start on Friday. The bike works so well from the beginning, but, for sure we are always able to do a little bit more and ultimately it was a shame that we couldn’t beat Petrucci as I was ahead of him for a bit. We must be happy with this weekend as without a tyre problem over the last few laps we are less than 30 seconds off the winner after 30 laps which is very good indeed for the project. We now move on for the test this week at Aragon where we can find some more things with the bike. This is just the beginning…”
- Best photos: Motul Valencia GP
- Quartararo... the best rookie since Marquez?
- Valencia GP: Sunday time schedule UPDATE
- Granado beats Garzo and Smith to Race 1 victory
- Navarro pips Martin for Moto2™ pole
- Quartararo denies Marquez the final pole of the season
- Rins, Pol Espargaro beat Zarco to the top in Q1
- Viñales tops FP4, Marquez second but crashes