As the GEICO US Round drew to a close on Sunday afternoon at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca it was World Champion Jonathan Rea (Kawasaki Racing Team) who took the victory, with Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) and Chaz Davies (Aruba.it Racing – Ducati) also on the podium.
Rea came from eighth on the grid to take a dominant win over the rest of the field with the KRT man beating his nearest challenger – teammate Sykes – by 2.887s, to open up a 59-point advantage at the head of the standings going into the summer break. It is the Northern Irishman’s second win at the American venue and he dedicated the victory to the late Nicky Hayden.
Davies did his best to pursue Sykes for second place over the final laps but just could not catch the Yorkshireman and had to settle for third, following his comeback win in Race 1.
Marco Melandri (Aruba.it Racing – Ducati) and Xavi Fores (BARNI Racing Team) completed the top five in the hot conditions at the spectacular Californian track.
Eugene Laverty (Milwaukee Aprilia) bounced back immediately from his Race 1 DNF for a good sixth place finish, with another Aprilia equipped rider Leandro Mercado (IODARacing) in seventh.
Lorenzo Savadori (Milwaukee Aprilia) was just behind Laverty and Mercado on the Aprilia RSV4 RF in eighth place, with the top ten completed by Pata Yamaha Official WorldSBK Team colleagues Alex Lowes and Michael van der Mark.
Raffaele de Rosa (Althea BMW Racing Team), Jordi Torres (Althea BMW Racing Team) and Ayrton Badovini (Grillini Racing Team) all suffered crashes, whilst there was an early retirement for Leon Camier (MV Agusta Reparto Corse).
After the summer break the 2017 MOTUL FIM Superbike World Championship riders will return to action at the Prosecco DOC German Round over the 18th-20th August weekend.
- WorldSBK, Lausitzring: Chaz Davies dominates to take double in Germany August 20, 2017
- WorldSBK, Lausitzring: Chaz Davies dominates in Germany with Race One victory August 19, 2017
- NOT the MotoGP News: Do(vi) a deer, a female deer August 19, 2017
- WorldSBK, Lausitzring: Friday roundup – World Superbike & World Supersport August 18, 2017
- Pol Espargaro out of Austrian GP with technical fault August 13, 2017
- Red Bull Rookies, Austria: Masaki masters sensational finish to Red Bull Ring Race 2 August 13, 2017
- MotoGP™ to remain at the Twin Ring Motegi until 2023 August 20, 2017
- Nakagami announced at LCR Honda in 2018 August 20, 2017
- #CzechGP and #AustrianGP: Twitter Highlights August 18, 2017
- Aero-fairings: some post-Austria questions answered August 18, 2017
- Martin: “I wasn’t even sure I could finish” August 17, 2017
- Jake Dixon joins Dynavolt Intact GP for Silverstone August 17, 2017