The Spielberg layout makes for a tricky set-up balance and team technicians have tried many options in a bid to boost the points scoring chances for Miller and Rabat in tomorrow’s 28-lap race.
The circuit has proved to be a big challenge for the Team Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS riders, who both anticipated it would not be easy to adapt the Honda RC213V to this circuit.
While the weather for the QP1 session was overcast but dry the conditions did not help Tito Rabat overcome the special demands of the Austrian venue.
Rabat will start 24th on the last row of the grid after being uncertain of optimal tyre choice for the qualifying session with the Spaniard electing to concentrate on race set-up rather than a time attack.
Tito Rabat: 24th – 1’24.900
“It was difficult qualifying session. In FP4 I did a very good job at the end of the session on a soft tyre and maybe this created some confusion because in FP3 I preferred the medium rear tyre. The soft tyre takes time to warm-up so for Q1 I just stayed out and did ten laps with a best time of 1’24.9. I know this is not normal for qualifying but it was better for me to work on my rhythm for the race.”
Source – Marc VDS
- Alex Rins DNF at Circuit Of The Americas April 23, 2018
- Amazing fifth place for Iker Lecuona in Texas April 23, 2018
- Tito Rabat conquers eighth in a great Texas fight April 23, 2018
- Points for Pol Espargaro in Texas April 23, 2018
- Maverick Viñales cruises to second at COTA April 23, 2018
- Jorge Lorenzo ends the Texan race in eleventh April 23, 2018
- Under the radar: Miller overcomes injury in Texas April 24, 2018
- More points for KTM in Texas April 24, 2018
- Aprilia on track testing at COTA April 23, 2018
- Crutchlow remains close in the standings despite COTA crash April 23, 2018
- Leader of the pack: Dovi weighs in after the Americas GP April 23, 2018
- Two Americans selected for Yamaha VR46 Master Camp April 23, 2018