Joan Mir continued his domination of the Moto3 World Championship 2017 and of the Grand Prix of Austria, where he scored his first victory last year and repeated it again today. The Spaniard crossed the line with a three-second advantage over second place, to extend his series lead to 64 points. Mir has now already equalled the record of seven wins in a season set by last year’s champion Brad Binder and he was joined on the podium in Austria by Phillip Öttl and Jorge Martín, who took third despite still struggling with injury.
Two crashes, one at the start of the race and one at the end, made it a Grand Prix to forget for the Mahindra Gaviota Aspar Team. Albert Arenas stayed in the battle for the top fifteen until the final lap, when he made contact with another rider and crashed with just a few corners to go.
Albert Arenas (crash):
“On the last lap I tried to pass another rider in the tight section, we touched and I crashed, and then as a consequence he crashed too. I don’t want to fall, or knock anybody else off, so I want to apologise to him. I gave my maximum on every lap, I pushed to the limit and I did everything I could. We knew there would be a big group at the start today and I tried to be as far forward as possible when it broke. In the end it was impossible to keep pace with the guys at the front so now we just have to look ahead to the next race.”
- Dakar 2018, final stage – Heroes all January 21, 2018
- Dakar 2018, Stage 13 report: The end is in sight January 20, 2018
- Dakar 2018, Stage 12 (cancelled) report: Safety first January 19, 2018
- Dakar 2018, Stage 11 report: Tactics and tenacity January 18, 2018
- Dakar 2018, Stage 10 report: “The game changer” January 17, 2018
- Dakar 2018, Stage 9 – Rain stops play January 16, 2018
- Binder: “The KTM is the best bike in the field” January 23, 2018
- Moving on up: From the FIM CEV Repsol to Moto3™ in 2018 January 23, 2018
- Cecchinello: "Crutchlow is the best prepared rider" January 23, 2018
- 2018 Movistar Yamaha Presentation: watch LIVE and for free January 22, 2018
- Here come the rookies... January 22, 2018
- Who graduates from FIM CEV Repsol to Moto2™ in 2018? January 22, 2018