Team Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS riders Franco Morbidelli and Álex Márquez dominated the Austrian Grand Prix with an impressive one-two at Spielberg today.
It was a superb performance by both riders who resisted race long pressure from Swiss challenger Tom Lüthi who finished third.
The 25-lap race at the scenic and ultra-fast Spielberg track was a thriller from start to finish.
From lap three Márquez was engaged in a tense and at times shoulder-rubbing duel with Lüthi with the Spanish star gaining the advantage to secure second on the podium with two laps remaining.
A late challenge by Miguel Oliveira for the podium ended with the Portuguese rider crashing heavily on lap 21.
The last time Team Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS staged a 1-2 result in Moto2 was at the Grand Prix of San Marino in 2014 with Tito Rabat and Mika Kallio. Rabat went on to win that year’s Moto2 world title.
Álex Márquez: 2nd
“I had a lot of fun in this race especially the fight with Tom, which was very close. Late in the race I thought I had a chance to challenge Franco for the win but I made a small mistake at turn three and lost the gap to him. But I am very happy to be on the podium, it has not been an easy weekend at this track so this is an important result for me.”
Source – Marc VDS
- Alex Rins DNF at Circuit Of The Americas April 23, 2018
- Amazing fifth place for Iker Lecuona in Texas April 23, 2018
- Tito Rabat conquers eighth in a great Texas fight April 23, 2018
- Points for Pol Espargaro in Texas April 23, 2018
- Maverick Viñales cruises to second at COTA April 23, 2018
- Jorge Lorenzo ends the Texan race in eleventh April 23, 2018
- Under the radar: Miller overcomes injury in Texas April 24, 2018
- More points for KTM in Texas April 24, 2018
- Aprilia on track testing at COTA April 23, 2018
- Crutchlow remains close in the standings despite COTA crash April 23, 2018
- Leader of the pack: Dovi weighs in after the Americas GP April 23, 2018
- Two Americans selected for Yamaha VR46 Master Camp April 23, 2018