Team Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS riders Franco Morbidelli and Álex Márquez dominated the Austrian Grand Prix with an impressive one-two at Spielberg today.
It was a superb performance by both riders who resisted race long pressure from Swiss challenger Tom Lüthi who finished third.
The 25-lap race at the scenic and ultra-fast Spielberg track was a thriller from start to finish.
From lap three Márquez was engaged in a tense and at times shoulder-rubbing duel with Lüthi with the Spanish star gaining the advantage to secure second on the podium with two laps remaining.
A late challenge by Miguel Oliveira for the podium ended with the Portuguese rider crashing heavily on lap 21.
The last time Team Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS staged a 1-2 result in Moto2 was at the Grand Prix of San Marino in 2014 with Tito Rabat and Mika Kallio. Rabat went on to win that year’s Moto2 world title.
Álex Márquez: 2nd
“I had a lot of fun in this race especially the fight with Tom, which was very close. Late in the race I thought I had a chance to challenge Franco for the win but I made a small mistake at turn three and lost the gap to him. But I am very happy to be on the podium, it has not been an easy weekend at this track so this is an important result for me.”
Source – Marc VDS
- FIM CEV Repsol, Valencia: Poles for López, Granado, Gómez and Sardanyons in season finale November 18, 2017
- DNF for Alvaro Bautista at Valencia November 12, 2017
- Jorge Navarro crashes out of Valencia season closer November 12, 2017
- Valencia sees victory for Dani Pedrosa and title for Marc Márquez November 12, 2017
- Miracle Mir makes stunning Valencia comeback to finish 2nd November 12, 2017
- Jorge Martin takes maiden victory in Valencia November 12, 2017
- Go #BIG6 and go home: Marquez celebrates in Cervera! November 18, 2017
- Poles for López, Granado and Gómez in Valencia finale November 18, 2017
- Oliveira ends Jerez test on top November 17, 2017
- KTM: "The progress is amazing and the promise is huge" November 17, 2017
- Difficult beginnings for Suzuki - but with some positives November 17, 2017
- Bagnaia quickest, Mir fastest rookie at Jerez November 16, 2017