The weather forecasts for the Grand Prix of San Marino and the Riviera del Rimini proved to be correct on Sunday, and the Moto3 riders had to undertake their race amidst heavy rain.
They started cautiously, but from the first moments a small group was already formed, made up of Romano Fenati, Jorge Martín and Joan Mir. Martín, however, was unable to complete the race due to a crash, and third position was contested between Fabio di Giannantonio and Arón Canet.
The latter would become one of sixteen riders to retire from the race, leaving Di Giannantonio on the podium. In the overall standings, Mir is 61 points ahead of Fenati and 84 ahead of Canet, with 125 points still up for grabs.
Albert Arenas achieved the best result of his career to date, with an eighth position for which he worked very hard. The Mahindra Gaviota Aspar rider’s previous best was twelfth at the Czech Republic round, and he leaves San Marino with eight more points to his name.
During the morning warmup session, the Spaniard suffered a crash but tested the limits of the track. In the race, he quickly rose from twenty-sixth position of the grid to the points, and from there he continued ascending before reaching eighth place.
8th Albert Arenas:
“The race was very long, but I kept up my pace, I was consistent and we have achieved a good result -the best of my career in the World Championship. I started from far back, but I knew there would be crashes. In the warmup session in the morning I discovered where my limit was with the crash. I am very happy and grateful to the team for fixing the bike between the warmup and the race. I’m satisfied because we have done a good job. It was hard, but we have always gone forward.”
- Dakar 2018, final stage – Heroes all January 21, 2018
- Dakar 2018, Stage 13 report: The end is in sight January 20, 2018
- Dakar 2018, Stage 12 (cancelled) report: Safety first January 19, 2018
- Dakar 2018, Stage 11 report: Tactics and tenacity January 18, 2018
- Dakar 2018, Stage 10 report: “The game changer” January 17, 2018
- Dakar 2018, Stage 9 – Rain stops play January 16, 2018
- Binder: “The KTM is the best bike in the field” January 23, 2018
- Moving on up: From the FIM CEV Repsol to Moto3™ in 2018 January 23, 2018
- Cecchinello: "Crutchlow is the best prepared rider" January 23, 2018
- 2018 Movistar Yamaha Presentation: watch LIVE and for free January 22, 2018
- Here come the rookies... January 22, 2018
- Who graduates from FIM CEV Repsol to Moto2™ in 2018? January 22, 2018