The weather forecasts for the Grand Prix of San Marino and the Riviera del Rimini proved to be correct on Sunday, and the Moto3 riders had to undertake their race amidst heavy rain.
They started cautiously, but from the first moments a small group was already formed, made up of Romano Fenati, Jorge Martín and Joan Mir. Martín, however, was unable to complete the race due to a crash, and third position was contested between Fabio di Giannantonio and Arón Canet.
The latter would become one of sixteen riders to retire from the race, leaving Di Giannantonio on the podium. In the overall standings, Mir is 61 points ahead of Fenati and 84 ahead of Canet, with 125 points still up for grabs.
Albert Arenas achieved the best result of his career to date, with an eighth position for which he worked very hard. The Mahindra Gaviota Aspar rider’s previous best was twelfth at the Czech Republic round, and he leaves San Marino with eight more points to his name.
During the morning warmup session, the Spaniard suffered a crash but tested the limits of the track. In the race, he quickly rose from twenty-sixth position of the grid to the points, and from there he continued ascending before reaching eighth place.
8th Albert Arenas:
“The race was very long, but I kept up my pace, I was consistent and we have achieved a good result -the best of my career in the World Championship. I started from far back, but I knew there would be crashes. In the warmup session in the morning I discovered where my limit was with the crash. I am very happy and grateful to the team for fixing the bike between the warmup and the race. I’m satisfied because we have done a good job. It was hard, but we have always gone forward.”
- Alex Rins DNF at Circuit Of The Americas April 23, 2018
- Amazing fifth place for Iker Lecuona in Texas April 23, 2018
- Tito Rabat conquers eighth in a great Texas fight April 23, 2018
- Points for Pol Espargaro in Texas April 23, 2018
- Maverick Viñales cruises to second at COTA April 23, 2018
- Jorge Lorenzo ends the Texan race in eleventh April 23, 2018
- Under the radar: Miller overcomes injury in Texas April 24, 2018
- More points for KTM in Texas April 24, 2018
- Aprilia on track testing at COTA April 23, 2018
- Crutchlow remains close in the standings despite COTA crash April 23, 2018
- Leader of the pack: Dovi weighs in after the Americas GP April 23, 2018
- Two Americans selected for Yamaha VR46 Master Camp April 23, 2018