Team Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS rider Álex Márquez won his third Moto2 race of the season with a superb performance in today’s rain soaked Japanese Grand Prix.
It was wet track masterclass by the 21-year-old Spaniard who rode a near faultless race in atrocious conditions at the Twin Ring Motegi.
It was a heroic comeback by Márquez who had failed to score points in the previous two races after suffering a left hip injury when he crashed out of the Misano race.
From a front row start Márquez remained patient before overtaking early race leader Takaaki Nakagami at turn 11 with five laps remaining.
Márquez immediately opened a race winning advantage to take the chequered flag 1.4s ahead of eventual second place finisher Xavi Vierge.
While Márquez was splashing his way to a controlled victory his teammate Franco Morbidelli took another crucial step towards clinching the Moto2 World Championship.
The race was shortened to 15 laps because of an earlier delay due an oil spillage in the Moto3 warm-up.
With three races remaining Márquez is in third place on 180 points.
Álex Márquez: Race Winner
“I’m really happy for this victory and I knew I had this potential despite my crash on Saturday morning in practice. I managed the race very well, it is never easy to stay calm in these conditions and I waited for my moment to go to the front. At the end I could open a gap and control the victory. I want thank my team, the doctors and everyone who has helped me to come back after my injury.”
Source – Marc VDS
- Red Bull Grand Prix of the Americas, race weekend preview: MotoGP, Moto2, Moto3 April 16, 2018
- Red Bull Grand Prix of the Americas, Michelin Preview April 16, 2018
- WorldSBK Aragon, Sunday roundup: World Superbike, World Supersport, WorldSSP300 April 15, 2018
- WorldSBK Aragon, Saturday roundup: World Superbike, World Supersport, WorldSSP300 April 14, 2018
- WorldSBK Argentinian round confirmed for October April 14, 2018
- WorldSBK Aragon: Friday roundup – World Superbike, World Supersport April 13, 2018
- Getting race ready: the physical side of MotoGP™ April 19, 2018
- MotoGP™’s partnership with Parts Europe extended for 2 years April 19, 2018
- MotoAmerica fire up for COTA alongside MotoGP™ April 18, 2018
- Rossi and Marquez: live debriefs from COTA April 18, 2018
- Marquez visits Brazilian school with UNICEF April 18, 2018
- Rossi: "I'm always happy to be in Texas" April 18, 2018