Vierge delivers wet weather masterclass to seize 2nd – Resolute Gardner speeds to 12th
Tech3 Racing Team rider Xavi Vierge produced a memorable performance to clinch 2nd position at the Japanese Grand Prix today.
An oil spill in the morning Moto3 warm-up caused a large delay, which resulted in the intermediate class race being cut short to a 15 lap sprint.
Here, Vierge had a strong start and he leapt forward from 3rd on the grid whilst the rain lashed down. He settled into a formidable rhythm and battled at the front of the field but kept focused to hold 2nd in the final laps, before soaring across the finish line to claim his first podium in the Moto2 World Championship.
“I am so happy. It has been a very challenging weekend and the track conditions have been tough, but yesterday was a good day and today was even better! I finished the race in 2nd, which is amazing, and it is a dream come true. I have to say thanks to the Tech3 Racing Team for believing in me and working hard every day. Also, to my family who help to motivate and push me. Finally, of course, I have to thank my sponsors because without them none of this would be possible.“
- Alex Rins DNF at Circuit Of The Americas April 23, 2018
- Amazing fifth place for Iker Lecuona in Texas April 23, 2018
- Tito Rabat conquers eighth in a great Texas fight April 23, 2018
- Points for Pol Espargaro in Texas April 23, 2018
- Maverick Viñales cruises to second at COTA April 23, 2018
- Jorge Lorenzo ends the Texan race in eleventh April 23, 2018
- Under the radar: Miller overcomes injury in Texas April 24, 2018
- More points for KTM in Texas April 24, 2018
- Aprilia on track testing at COTA April 23, 2018
- Crutchlow remains close in the standings despite COTA crash April 23, 2018
- Leader of the pack: Dovi weighs in after the Americas GP April 23, 2018
- Two Americans selected for Yamaha VR46 Master Camp April 23, 2018