After the eighth pole position of the season, Jorge Martin took his seventh rostrum finish of the year today at Phillip Island – his first top-3 race result in almost two months (the previous one was at Silverstone on August 27th).
The rider of Team Del Conca Gresini Moto3 showed great speed on the Australian circuit as he battled hard at the front of the field, with the usual Moto3 slipstream battle mixing up positions in each and every lap (he once even went all the way back from first to eighth place). Despite the many tight moves of what was surely a hard-fought race – with the number 88 strenuously defending his position from Guevara before coming together first with Ramirez and then with Bastianini – Martin was still in contention for the win with six laps to go, but as the red flag was deployed due to the arrival of rain, he could do nothing but accept a third-place finish.
Today’s third place by Martin resulted in the twelfth podium finish for Team Del Conca Gresini as the Madrid-born re-takes fourth place in the championship from his team mate Di Giannantonio. Moto3 action will resume in less than five days with the penultimate round of the 2017 edition.
3rd – JORGE MARTIN #88“Today we had the speed for something more, but the red flag prevented us from trying. It is what it is, though. I would like to congratulate Joan (Mir) for the title, he deserved it. I’m happy with this third place in what was such a difficult race with many coming together and I can’t wait to return to the track in order to give another try for the win – we’re getting really close and we still have two races left this year.”
- Dakar 2018, final stage – Heroes all January 21, 2018
- Dakar 2018, Stage 13 report: The end is in sight January 20, 2018
- Dakar 2018, Stage 12 (cancelled) report: Safety first January 19, 2018
- Dakar 2018, Stage 11 report: Tactics and tenacity January 18, 2018
- Dakar 2018, Stage 10 report: “The game changer” January 17, 2018
- Dakar 2018, Stage 9 – Rain stops play January 16, 2018
- Binder: “The KTM is the best bike in the field” January 23, 2018
- Moving on up: From the FIM CEV Repsol to Moto3™ in 2018 January 23, 2018
- Cecchinello: "Crutchlow is the best prepared rider" January 23, 2018
- 2018 Movistar Yamaha Presentation: watch LIVE and for free January 22, 2018
- Here come the rookies... January 22, 2018
- Who graduates from FIM CEV Repsol to Moto2™ in 2018? January 22, 2018