A tense battle for the MotoGP World Championship reached its climax today, with a crash for Andrea Dovizioso and third place for Marc Márquez deciding the title in favour of the Spaniard – his fourth in MotoGP and his sixth in total.
The Spaniard was ahead of his rival for virtually the whole race, apart from one lap when he ran wide after almost crashing and lost the lead. Shortly after Dovizioso himself crashed out, ending any hopes he had of claiming the title. Márquez cruised home to third place behind Dani Pedrosa and Johann Zarco to become champion once again.
Pull&Bear Aspar Team riderÁlvaro Bautista endured a difficult weekend and was never able to get going in the race, crashing early on after contact with another rider before remounting, only to crash again.
Álvaro Bautista (DNF):
“Two crashes is not the best way to finish a season. On the first one I felt another rider make contact with my front wheel. I had the bike leaned over and I couldn’t do anything to save it. I was running the hard front tyre and I didn’t like the feeling, I was getting a lot of vibrations. In the end, I didn’t do anything unusual on the way into turn one but I lost the front and crashed. We started the year really well but we have struggled a little in the second half of the season. Now we have to reset and in a couple of days get ready to start working towards the new season with renewed energy and keep fighting like always.”
- Dakar 2018, final stage – Heroes all January 21, 2018
- Dakar 2018, Stage 13 report: The end is in sight January 20, 2018
- Dakar 2018, Stage 12 (cancelled) report: Safety first January 19, 2018
- Dakar 2018, Stage 11 report: Tactics and tenacity January 18, 2018
- Dakar 2018, Stage 10 report: “The game changer” January 17, 2018
- Dakar 2018, Stage 9 – Rain stops play January 16, 2018
- Binder: “The KTM is the best bike in the field” January 23, 2018
- Moving on up: From the FIM CEV Repsol to Moto3™ in 2018 January 23, 2018
- Cecchinello: "Crutchlow is the best prepared rider" January 23, 2018
- 2018 Movistar Yamaha Presentation: watch LIVE and for free January 22, 2018
- Here come the rookies... January 22, 2018
- Who graduates from FIM CEV Repsol to Moto2™ in 2018? January 22, 2018