Jorge Navarro has completed a difficult final racing weekend of 2017 in front of his home crowd after returning to the track for the first time since injuring his left hand at Phillip Island three weeks ago. The rider of Team Federal Oil Gresini Moto2 took part in today’s 27-lap race knowing his fitness condition was far from ideal and he had an encouraging first part of the encounter which saw him moving up from 24th to 16th.
A false neutral at turn 11, however, led to a crash for the Valencian rider, who was looking for some better luck after riding through the pain barrier for the whole weekend. Unfortunately, a first medical evaluation at the circuit revealed a fractured right scaphoid, which might require surgery should further exams confirm the diagnosis.
Navarro ends his rookie Moto2 season in 14th place with sixth place as best result – scored in Catalunya, at Sachsenring and Aragón – and a tally of 60 points.
NC – JORGE NAVARRO #9
“I was making up several places in the race but I was really at the limit, so I ended up crashing between turns 10 and 11. In order to try to protect my left hand – which was already injured – I landed on the right one and hurt myself: a disastrous weekend which ended up with a fractures scaphoid. I would like to undergo surgery as soon as possible so I don’t have to stop for two months or so, but we need an MRI first to have a full picture of the injury.”
- Dakar 2018, final stage – Heroes all January 21, 2018
- Dakar 2018, Stage 13 report: The end is in sight January 20, 2018
- Dakar 2018, Stage 12 (cancelled) report: Safety first January 19, 2018
- Dakar 2018, Stage 11 report: Tactics and tenacity January 18, 2018
- Dakar 2018, Stage 10 report: “The game changer” January 17, 2018
- Dakar 2018, Stage 9 – Rain stops play January 16, 2018
- Binder: “The KTM is the best bike in the field” January 23, 2018
- Moving on up: From the FIM CEV Repsol to Moto3™ in 2018 January 23, 2018
- Cecchinello: "Crutchlow is the best prepared rider" January 23, 2018
- 2018 Movistar Yamaha Presentation: watch LIVE and for free January 22, 2018
- Here come the rookies... January 22, 2018
- Who graduates from FIM CEV Repsol to Moto2™ in 2018? January 22, 2018