Jorge Navarro has completed a difficult final racing weekend of 2017 in front of his home crowd after returning to the track for the first time since injuring his left hand at Phillip Island three weeks ago. The rider of Team Federal Oil Gresini Moto2 took part in today’s 27-lap race knowing his fitness condition was far from ideal and he had an encouraging first part of the encounter which saw him moving up from 24th to 16th.
A false neutral at turn 11, however, led to a crash for the Valencian rider, who was looking for some better luck after riding through the pain barrier for the whole weekend. Unfortunately, a first medical evaluation at the circuit revealed a fractured right scaphoid, which might require surgery should further exams confirm the diagnosis.
Navarro ends his rookie Moto2 season in 14th place with sixth place as best result – scored in Catalunya, at Sachsenring and Aragón – and a tally of 60 points.
NC – JORGE NAVARRO #9
“I was making up several places in the race but I was really at the limit, so I ended up crashing between turns 10 and 11. In order to try to protect my left hand – which was already injured – I landed on the right one and hurt myself: a disastrous weekend which ended up with a fractures scaphoid. I would like to undergo surgery as soon as possible so I don’t have to stop for two months or so, but we need an MRI first to have a full picture of the injury.”
- Red Bull Grand Prix of the Americas, race weekend preview: MotoGP, Moto2, Moto3 April 16, 2018
- Red Bull Grand Prix of the Americas, Michelin Preview April 16, 2018
- WorldSBK Aragon, Sunday roundup: World Superbike, World Supersport, WorldSSP300 April 15, 2018
- WorldSBK Aragon, Saturday roundup: World Superbike, World Supersport, WorldSSP300 April 14, 2018
- WorldSBK Argentinian round confirmed for October April 14, 2018
- WorldSBK Aragon: Friday roundup – World Superbike, World Supersport April 13, 2018
- Getting race ready: the physical side of MotoGP™ April 19, 2018
- MotoGP™’s partnership with Parts Europe extended for 2 years April 19, 2018
- MotoAmerica fire up for COTA alongside MotoGP™ April 18, 2018
- Rossi and Marquez: live debriefs from COTA April 18, 2018
- Marquez visits Brazilian school with UNICEF April 18, 2018
- Rossi: "I'm always happy to be in Texas" April 18, 2018