Though the Movistar Yamaha MotoGP Team is still enjoying the off-season, Maverick Viñales couldn‘t stay away from the track any longer. The Spaniard travelled to South Africa to take part in yesterday’s Yamaha R World Event and get an impression of the new Kyalami International Race Track.
Viñales arrived at the track yesterday morning ready to get back into the groove. He started proceedings with a private test session, followed by a six-lap session, during which he was in good company. He was joined by the local National Superbike and Supersport Yamaha riders and ten lucky Yamaha customers, who were allowed to join in on the action, riding YZF-R1 and YZF-R6 bikes.
The MotoGP star enjoyed getting familiar with the track as well as seeing the Yamaha customers learn and progress out on track. The morning session was followed by lunch and a press conference. Viñales again played a key role there, not only handing out autographs but also hampers containing Yamaha goodies, for the customers.
After sharing his experience at the Yamaha R World Event with the local media, the Movistar Yamaha rider had some time left to enjoy sunny Cape Town to end the trip in style, before going on a well-deserved holiday.
“The R World Riding Experience was so good! I really liked riding the bike and I‘ve been enjoying my stay in South Africa and riding at the Kyalami International Race Track a lot. The people that I met here were great and we had a lot of fun. A lot of fans came here, I‘m really happy and I appreciate the fans’ and also the staff‘s support. I‘m just really glad to be here and I for sure would like to come back. The track is really nice, it‘s like an old-school style track and I‘ve been enjoying riding the YZF-R1.”
- Red Bull Grand Prix of the Americas, race weekend preview: MotoGP, Moto2, Moto3 April 16, 2018
- Red Bull Grand Prix of the Americas, Michelin Preview April 16, 2018
- WorldSBK Aragon, Sunday roundup: World Superbike, World Supersport, WorldSSP300 April 15, 2018
- WorldSBK Aragon, Saturday roundup: World Superbike, World Supersport, WorldSSP300 April 14, 2018
- WorldSBK Argentinian round confirmed for October April 14, 2018
- WorldSBK Aragon: Friday roundup – World Superbike, World Supersport April 13, 2018
- Getting race ready: the physical side of MotoGP™ April 19, 2018
- MotoGP™’s partnership with Parts Europe extended for 2 years April 19, 2018
- MotoAmerica fire up for COTA alongside MotoGP™ April 18, 2018
- Rossi and Marquez: live debriefs from COTA April 18, 2018
- Marquez visits Brazilian school with UNICEF April 18, 2018
- Rossi: "I'm always happy to be in Texas" April 18, 2018