Route: Fiambala – San Juan (Marathon Pt.2)
Words: Georgia Wells.
For the second time this year a stage has been cancelled.
The second half of the Marathon pairing was originally to be run over 723km from Fiambala to San Juan. The fast dirt tracks were to be coupled with high mountain passes and this proved a dangerous combination as bad weather closed in.
Rally organisers Etienne Lavigne and Marc Coma initially took the decision to cancel the first section of the stage due to low cloud which made it impossible for the medical helicopters to fly.
The riders were told the second half of the stage would go ahead, so they prepared their roadbooks and readied themselves for a long night in the extremely basic remote bivouac.
Further analysis of Stage 12 eventually led to the complete cancellation of the day’s action for the riders. The cars and trucks were due to traverse the dirt tracks and riverbeds before the bikes and it was thought the damage caused to the soft terrain would make it too risky for the riders with hidden rocks and deep ruts likely.
The decision seems to have been largely well received by the field, who were able to ride at their own pace to San Juan on Thursday. For rally leader Matthias Walkner, who has 32 minutes in hand, the stage cancellation could be considered a gift. But for those hoping to gain ground before the chequered flag, time could be fast running out.
- Alex Rins DNF at Circuit Of The Americas April 23, 2018
- Amazing fifth place for Iker Lecuona in Texas April 23, 2018
- Tito Rabat conquers eighth in a great Texas fight April 23, 2018
- Points for Pol Espargaro in Texas April 23, 2018
- Maverick Viñales cruises to second at COTA April 23, 2018
- Jorge Lorenzo ends the Texan race in eleventh April 23, 2018
- Two Americans selected for Yamaha VR46 Master Camp April 23, 2018
- Elias strikes back in Race 2 April 23, 2018
- Behind the scenes of the official MotoGP™ videogame April 23, 2018
- Miller grabs sixth consecutive top ten April 23, 2018
- Viñales on Yamaha: “We’re coming” April 22, 2018
- 5 men in the title fight: the close contenders after COTA April 22, 2018