With a dominant performance in qualifying Team Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS rider Álex Márquez will start from pole position for Sunday’s Moto2 race at the Losail International Circuit.
The Spanish star was untouchable in claiming the fastest time with a 0.3s margin over nearest rival Lorenzo Baldassarri.
The front row of the grid for the 20-lap Qatar Grand Prix was completed by Francesco Bagnaia. The top 13 riders on the timesheet were separated by just one second setting the scene for a fast and competitive opening to the Moto2 World Championship.
Márquez’s time was his fastest of the weekend so far and more than seven tenths better than his previous best in Friday’s FP2 session, confirming his status as the pacesetter for the championship.
The windy conditions and dusty track made things difficult for Moto2 rookie Joan Mir and the reigning Moto3 World Champion will start from 24th position, as he was unable to match his impressive pace in Friday practice.
Álex Márquez: 1st – 2.00.299
“I am really happy to start the season with this pole position, especially as this was a difficult session with the wind and dust on the track. As the session progressed the racing line became cleaner and I improved my time at the end. I think we are well prepared for any conditions tomorrow, with a good rhythm and strong race set-up.”
Joan Mir: 24th – 2.02.234
“Today has been really difficult for me, I struggled a lot to do the same times that I did in FP2 on Friday. I am not sure exactly why, so we need to look at the data tonight and try to be more comfortable in these conditions. For sure we need to make a step to have a chance of a good result in the race.”
Source: Marc VDS
- Albert Arenas picks up hard earned point in Texas April 22, 2018
- Arón Canet finishes eighth in Austin April 22, 2018
- Superb races by Alex Márquez and Joan Mir in Texas April 22, 2018
- WorldSBK Assen, Sunday roundup: World Superbike, World Supersport, WorldSSP300 April 22, 2018
- Alex Márquez qualifies on pole position in Texas, Joan Mir starts from 5th April 22, 2018
- Marc Marquez takes pole at Austin but will start from 4th on the grid, Dani Pedrosa grabs 3rd row start April 22, 2018
- Viñales on Yamaha: “We’re coming” April 22, 2018
- Through the pain barrier: Pedrosa's superhuman performance April 22, 2018
- Bagnaia vs Marquez: a battle royal in Austin April 22, 2018
- Closing in at COTA: Marquez takes Texas, Dovi takes the lead April 22, 2018
- Martin pulls the pin to perfection in a classic Texan tangle April 22, 2018
- Viñales on Marquez' tail in Texas Warm Up April 22, 2018