Jorge Navarro has had so far a very encouraging start to the 2018 Moto2 World Championship as the Team Federal Oil Gresini Moto2 rider was one of the protagonists of today’s qualifying at the Losail International Circuit by claiming seventh place on the grid for tomorrow’s opening race of the season.
One year ago, Navarro’s debut Moto2 qualifying session ended up with a seventeenth spot on the grid; over the course of last year he managed to qualify better than today only in two occasions – at Brno (5th) and Aragon (6th).
With a 2’01.038secs lap-time, Navarro finished only seven tenths of a second away from Alex Marquez’s pole position, but most of all only 0.2secs from the front row. Tomorrow, starting from 17:20 local time (GMT +1), Navarro will start the hunt for points in the first Moto2 race of the year.
7th – JORGE NAVARRO #9
“The weekend started on a high, although on both FP2 and FP3 I wasn’t feeling too comfortable on the bike. There was something that wasn’t working perfectly, so we went for a big change for qualifying. I got used to the new set up quite quickly and already on the second lap we were able to log a good time. I must admit that the feeling changes a lot with different tyres on, but I have a good set up for tomorrow and a good pace, so I hope we’ll have a great race.”
- Aron Canet signs with Angel Nieto squad for 2020 Moto2™
- "It’s good to be back" – Lorenzo ahead of Silverstone return
- Joan Mir to miss the British Grand Prix
- History made at the KymiRing MotoGP™ Test
- Best photos: KymiRing MotoGP™ Test
- “It’s a dream come true” – MotoGP™ authorities on KymiRing
- Everyone's a winner: vast and fast, Silverstone awaits
- Marquez vs Moto2™: can the field triumph over the form man?