Jorge Martín started the new Moto3 season where he left off the last one in Valencia, on the top step of the podium. The Spaniard broke his duck in that 2017 finale and now he has a second win to his name, this time by just 0.023 seconds from his compatriot Aron Canet. The pair were joined in the battle for the lead during the early stages by Enea Bastianini, who crashed after a few laps, as Lorenzo dalla Porta secured the final spot on the podium following a ten-rider scrap for third place.
Andrea Migno was the only Ángel Nieto Team rider in the race today after Albert Arenas fractured his collarbone in the warm-up. The Spaniard went to ground after touching with another rider and took the impact on his right shoulder.
Albert Arenas (DNS):
“I have missed the race here in Qatar because of a crash during warm-up, when I suffered a slight fracture to my collarbone, which ruled me out of the race.It is a shame and I feel very frustrated because we had worked so hard all weekend to be ready for the race. Anyway, we have eighteen more races this season so now we have to look to the future. Luckily it’s not a displaced fracture so it is not a big issue. Otherwise I am okay, it was just my shoulder that took the impact.”
- 16:30 in Qatar: Petrucci tops the Day 2 timesheets
- Aprilia confirm Lorenzo Savadori as MotoGP™ test rider
- Battle ready: Suzuki secure 1-2 on opening day in Qatar
- Photo gallery: Qatar Test Day 1
- Midday: Dovizioso currently P1 as Qatar Test begins
- Moto2™, Moto3™ Official Jerez Test photo gallery
- Ogura, McPhee and Rodrigo set 1:44s at Jerez Test
- Lap record sees Lüthi end Jerez Test at the summit