Jorge Martín started the new Moto3 season where he left off the last one in Valencia, on the top step of the podium. The Spaniard broke his duck in that 2017 finale and now he has a second win to his name, this time by just 0.023 seconds from his compatriot Aron Canet. The pair were joined in the battle for the lead during the early stages by Enea Bastianini, who crashed after a few laps, as Lorenzo dalla Porta secured the final spot on the podium following a ten-rider scrap for third place.
Andrea Migno was the only Ángel Nieto Team rider in the race today after Albert Arenas fractured his collarbone in the warm-up. The Spaniard went to ground after touching with another rider and took the impact on his right shoulder.
Albert Arenas (DNS):
“I have missed the race here in Qatar because of a crash during warm-up, when I suffered a slight fracture to my collarbone, which ruled me out of the race.It is a shame and I feel very frustrated because we had worked so hard all weekend to be ready for the race. Anyway, we have eighteen more races this season so now we have to look to the future. Luckily it’s not a displaced fracture so it is not a big issue. Otherwise I am okay, it was just my shoulder that took the impact.”
- Best photos: Motul Valencia GP
- Quartararo... the best rookie since Marquez?
- Valencia GP: Sunday time schedule UPDATE
- Granado beats Garzo and Smith to Race 1 victory
- Navarro pips Martin for Moto2™ pole
- Quartararo denies Marquez the final pole of the season
- Rins, Pol Espargaro beat Zarco to the top in Q1
- Viñales tops FP4, Marquez second but crashes