The racing team from the Allgäu can be satisfied with the first Grand Prix of the year. After competetive performances in the practice sessions and a strong race of the two Dynavolt Intact GP riders, they can now be delighted to have achieved a total of 17 championship points, as well as a fifth place in the team ranking.
The temperatures were bearable due to a light breeze on Sunday and at least around 14,000 spectators came to the desert to see the unique floodlit season opener in Qatar.
Marcel Schrötter and Xavi Vierge made up some places at the start. Coming from position three and four, they rode into the first corner as fourth and sixth. After the leading group was out of reach, the Kalex riders fought eye to eye with the KTM’s of Miguel Oliveira and Brad Binder. After 20 nerve-racking laps, always pushing the limit and with a constantly fast rhythm, Marcel and Xavi crossed the finish line of the Losail International Circuit in seventh and eighth place. The best achievements in Moto2 for the two teammates at the season opener of Qatar so far.
The connection to the top 5 is done. In the warm-up session in the afternoon, both Intact GP riders were within the top guys. Xavi Vierge secured a third place, while Marcel Schrötter took the seventh place with just 0.2 seconds behind the top.
With nine and eight points in the bag the team leaves Qatar and the second round of the 2018 World Championship will take place in two weeks time. From the 6th to 8th of April, the MotoGP circus will meet again in Termas de Rio Hondo / Argentina.
I expected a little bit more. But anyway, it was the first race of the years so its not too bad. We worked really hard during the weekend but we had some small problems with the rear. In the race I needed more grip to have a better rhythm. Still, it was a good weekend for us and the situation with the team and bike is good and so this position is not bad after all. Now we will continue to work hard to understand what the limitations are for the next races.
- Albert Arenas picks up hard earned point in Texas April 22, 2018
- Arón Canet finishes eighth in Austin April 22, 2018
- Superb races by Alex Márquez and Joan Mir in Texas April 22, 2018
- WorldSBK Assen, Sunday roundup: World Superbike, World Supersport, WorldSSP300 April 22, 2018
- Alex Márquez qualifies on pole position in Texas, Joan Mir starts from 5th April 22, 2018
- Marc Marquez takes pole at Austin but will start from 4th on the grid, Dani Pedrosa grabs 3rd row start April 22, 2018
- Viñales on Yamaha: “We’re coming” April 22, 2018
- Through the pain barrier: Pedrosa's superhuman performance April 22, 2018
- Bagnaia vs Marquez: a battle royal in Austin April 22, 2018
- Closing in at COTA: Marquez takes Texas, Dovi takes the lead April 22, 2018
- Martin pulls the pin to perfection in a classic Texan tangle April 22, 2018
- Viñales on Marquez' tail in Texas Warm Up April 22, 2018