Jorge Martin and Team Del Conca Gresini Moto3 have matched expectations by winning the opening race of the 2018 Moto3 World Championship at the Losail International Circuit by a fraction of a second at the finish line – at the end of what was a very tough race. After crashing unhurt in the morning’s warm up, Martin had to keep the concentration high in order to find again as soon as possible the same feeling he had in free practice and qualifying.
The young Spaniard did not take long in getting up to speed as he took the lead after a couple of corners into the race and led proceedings. The three-way battle with Bastianini and Canet turned into a one-to-one fight with the latter, which was decided in the final metres of the race: Martin got a great drive out of turn 16, which helped him overtake the opponent before the chequered flag. Courtesy of this result, Martin takes back-to-back wins after the one scored in the season finale last November at Valencia.
“It’s been a difficult day, which started this morning with a crash. I got a good start to the race and I pushed hard in the first ten laps, but when it was only between Canet and I, I chose to save the tyres for the end of the race. I realised I was a little faster than him at the penultimate corner, so I made the most of it in the final lap. It was very important to win the first race, because it’s a confidence boost; now I hope to be battling for the win in the next races as well.”
- FIM CEV Repsol back in action for Round 2 at Valencia April 25, 2018
- Alex Rins DNF at Circuit Of The Americas April 23, 2018
- Amazing fifth place for Iker Lecuona in Texas April 23, 2018
- Tito Rabat conquers eighth in a great Texas fight April 23, 2018
- Points for Pol Espargaro in Texas April 23, 2018
- Maverick Viñales cruises to second at COTA April 23, 2018
- Marquez has Rossi and Agostini records in sight April 26, 2018
- Octo Telematics announced as title sponsor for San Marino GP April 26, 2018
- Motegi test for Suzuki and Guintoli April 26, 2018
- Nakagami: “finishing as top rookie is a nice feeling” April 25, 2018
- Is Bagnaia the man to beat in Moto2™? April 25, 2018
- Leaders will be leaders April 25, 2018