Argentina was the stage for another unforgettable MotoGP race, full of incident and virtually impossible to sum up: from the start, when the majority of riders headed back from the grid to pit lane to switch from wet to dry tyres, to the end when Marc Márquez collided with Valentino Rossi in a moment of drama that saw the Italian crash out and the Spaniard sanctioned with a penalty that left him out of the points.
Jack Miller was the only rider to stay on the grid on slick tyres and he made his early advantage count with a strong race at the front, only missing out on the podium after a mistake in the latter stages. Victory for Cal Crutchlow, ahead of Johann Zarco and Álex Rins, means he heads to the next round in Texas as the championship leader.
The Ángel Nieto Team were unable to salvage points from the chaos in Argentina, with Álvaro Bautista coming back from some early grip problems to come through in the second half of the race with lap times similar to the front group, although by then he was too far back.
16th Álvaro Bautista:
“It was a race of two halves. In the first part the track still had some damp sections and I was struggling to get the tyres up to temperature so I lost some time. Halfway through the race I was passed by Jorge Lorenzo and decided to push to follow him, taking some risks even though I couldn’t feel the tyres. This suddenly gave them a bit more heat and I felt better. Three or four degrees make a big difference to the grip and from that point I was able to set a good pace.”
- FIM CEV Repsol back in action for Round 2 at Valencia April 25, 2018
- Alex Rins DNF at Circuit Of The Americas April 23, 2018
- Amazing fifth place for Iker Lecuona in Texas April 23, 2018
- Tito Rabat conquers eighth in a great Texas fight April 23, 2018
- Points for Pol Espargaro in Texas April 23, 2018
- Maverick Viñales cruises to second at COTA April 23, 2018
- Marquez has Rossi and Agostini records in sight April 26, 2018
- Octo Telematics announced as title sponsor for San Marino GP April 26, 2018
- Motegi test for Suzuki and Guintoli April 26, 2018
- Nakagami: “finishing as top rookie is a nice feeling” April 25, 2018
- Is Bagnaia the man to beat in Moto2™? April 25, 2018
- Leaders will be leaders April 25, 2018