The GP of Argentina had plenty to offer, even before the lights went out; a delayed start due safety concerns as weather conditions changed and many riders wished to switch tyres, meant tensions were running high. However, this did not impact on the focus of Alex Rins and Andrea Iannone and the pair made good starts from their newly formed grid positions.
Alex Rins was able to slot into 5th place in the opening moments of the Grand Prix, and as he was settling into his race rhythm he gained and lost some positions as the battle was getting fierce. Alex stayed with the small lead group and attempted to take to the front several times before briefly making it stick with 9 laps to go, spectacularly smoking his rear tyre as he did so. With mixed track conditions and drama happening all around him, the 22 year old kept his concentration and rhythm and entered the last lap in 3rd place, a position which he brilliantly held until the chequered flag. This marks his best ever result in MotoGP.
“I’m very satisfied with this race, because it wasn’t easy and before the start I was nervous due to the delay and everything. But finally, when we started, I was feeling really good from the beginning. When I was behind Miller I was thinking ‘OK, maybe I need to overtake him and go’, because my feeling was perfect. But when I was leading I made a small mistake – the track was very difficult with the damp patches, especially off the racing line. Myself, my team, and everyone in Japan has worked really hard to have a competitive bike, and we’ve done it! Texas is one of my favourite tracks, despite the fact that last year I had a fast crash and broke my arm. This year we arrive with strong mentality, more experience, and a great bike.”
- Alex Rins DNF at Circuit Of The Americas April 23, 2018
- Amazing fifth place for Iker Lecuona in Texas April 23, 2018
- Tito Rabat conquers eighth in a great Texas fight April 23, 2018
- Points for Pol Espargaro in Texas April 23, 2018
- Maverick Viñales cruises to second at COTA April 23, 2018
- Jorge Lorenzo ends the Texan race in eleventh April 23, 2018
- Under the radar: Miller overcomes injury in Texas April 24, 2018
- More points for KTM in Texas April 24, 2018
- Aprilia on track testing at COTA April 23, 2018
- Crutchlow remains close in the standings despite COTA crash April 23, 2018
- Leader of the pack: Dovi weighs in after the Americas GP April 23, 2018
- Two Americans selected for Yamaha VR46 Master Camp April 23, 2018