Team Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS rider Álex Márquez will start from pole position for Sunday’s Grand Prix of The Americas.
Marquez is primed to attack for his first victory of the season after a superb qualifying performance.
Marquez sliced six tenths of second from his previous best time in FP3 to secure his second pole of the season following his fast time at the opening race in Qatar.
Just as impressive was reigning Moto3 World Champion Joan Mir who will start the 18-lap race from fifth on the second row.
The young Spaniard was just one tenth of a second off a front row start and easily bettered his previous best qualifying of 17th in Argentina.
This performance confirmed that Moto2 rookie Mir is making a fast transition to be a frontrunner in the intermediate class.
Álex Márquez: 1st – 2’10.588
“I am very happy for this pole position especially as I have a very good rhythm for the race. The team has worked very hard this weekend to give me a good feeling on the bike because with the weather, some rain and the dusty surface, the track is changing a lot. I am focussing on doing a good race because our rivals are very fast here. Qualifying was good today but Sunday is the most important day.”
Joan Mir: 5th – 2’11.124
“I am really happy because this qualifying was much better than I did in Argentina and Qatar so hopefully I have a chance to go with the front group and settle into a fast rhythm for the race. And each day I am enjoying this difficult track even more.”
- Albert Arenas 1st in Le Mans May 20, 2018
- Disappointing race for Iker Lecuona in Le Mans May 20, 2018
- Jorge Lorenzo takes the flag in sixth place at Le Mans May 20, 2018
- Alex Rins reaches target in Le Mans May 20, 2018
- Tito Rabat leaves Le Mans without reward May 20, 2018
- Maverick Viñales 7th in Le Mans GP May 20, 2018
- Miller: “Seeing Marc the whole race was really nice” May 20, 2018
- Crutchlow: “They were panicking because I wanted to race!” May 20, 2018
- Contenders crash at Le Mans: Zarco, Dovi and Iannone May 20, 2018
- Marquez: strategic victory… and yet another save! May 20, 2018
- Bagnaia reigns supreme in France May 20, 2018
- Marquez equals Stoner as Rossi gets back on the podium May 20, 2018