Team Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS rider Álex Márquez scored his best result of the season so far with a superb second place in today’s Grand Prix of The Americas.
The podium finish moved Márquez to equal second in the Moto2 World Championship, level with Mattia Pasini on 47 points.
Márquez started from pole position led for 13 laps and survived a couple of huge slides in a tense battle with eventual race winner Francesco Bagnaia.
While Márquez staged his dramatic bid for victory it was his rookie teammate Joan Mir who put in a sensational performance to finish fourth.
Mir’s race became a nightmare at turn one after the start when he was bumped wide by Luca Marini and dropped back to 24th place.
The young Spaniard then began a thrilling charge through the traffic and by lap 14 of 18 he was in fourth position and challenging for the podium with his stunning pace.
Mir set his personal best time of the race on the penultimate lap to finish just 1.6s out of third place taken by Miguel Oliveira.
The next race is the Spanish Grand Prix in Jerez in two weeks.
Álex Márquez: 2nd
“This was a very important podium as we prepare for the European races with the tracks more suited to my riding style. I was able to run up front for many laps but the wind conditions changed a lot today and I had to save some crashes with the bike moving around. I did my 100% so I am happy for this result.”
Joan Mir: 4th
“I am a little disappointed with this fourth place because at the end of the race I had the pace for the podium. I was in trouble at the first corner so it was difficult but this is racing. But the important thing is that I confirmed that our race pace was really high and better than I expected at this circuit. This is positive for the next races in Europe.”
- Albert Arenas 1st in Le Mans May 20, 2018
- Disappointing race for Iker Lecuona in Le Mans May 20, 2018
- Jorge Lorenzo takes the flag in sixth place at Le Mans May 20, 2018
- Alex Rins reaches target in Le Mans May 20, 2018
- Tito Rabat leaves Le Mans without reward May 20, 2018
- Maverick Viñales 7th in Le Mans GP May 20, 2018
- Miller: “Seeing Marc the whole race was really nice” May 20, 2018
- Crutchlow: “They were panicking because I wanted to race!” May 20, 2018
- Contenders crash at Le Mans: Zarco, Dovi and Iannone May 20, 2018
- Marquez: strategic victory… and yet another save! May 20, 2018
- Bagnaia reigns supreme in France May 20, 2018
- Marquez equals Stoner as Rossi gets back on the podium May 20, 2018