For the sixth year in a row, Marc Márquez won the MotoGP race at the Circuit of The Americas. He did so after a small battle with Andrea Iannone at the beginning of the race, but soon shook off the Italian to take the victory. Second in Austin was Maverick Viñales, followed by Iannone in third position. Andrea Dovizioso, the new leader of the World Championship after a crash for Cal Crutchlow, finished in fifth place, just behind Valentino Rossi.
The Ángel Nieto Team salvaged a point at the Grand Prix of The Americas, courtesy of Álvaro Bautista, who gained six places during the contest. The Spaniard started from twenty-first on the grid and lost a couple of positions on the opening corners.
However, from there he imposed a consistent pace that allowed him to pass several rivals and break into the points.
15th Álvaro Bautista:
“What was important today was to find the good feeling we are looking for in this first part of the season and have not been able to find. In the race we continued struggling; I was lacking rear grip and couldn’t find any. We’ve made progress with turning the bike, but I lack traction when exiting corners and we are losing a lot of time with that. We will try to study the data and compare it with last year to see why this is lacking, as theoretically the tyres are the same last year. We hope to rectify the situation in Europe and feel better with the bike.”
- Albert Arenas 1st in Le Mans May 20, 2018
- Disappointing race for Iker Lecuona in Le Mans May 20, 2018
- Jorge Lorenzo takes the flag in sixth place at Le Mans May 20, 2018
- Alex Rins reaches target in Le Mans May 20, 2018
- Tito Rabat leaves Le Mans without reward May 20, 2018
- Maverick Viñales 7th in Le Mans GP May 20, 2018
- Miller: “Seeing Marc the whole race was really nice” May 20, 2018
- Crutchlow: “They were panicking because I wanted to race!” May 20, 2018
- Contenders crash at Le Mans: Zarco, Dovi and Iannone May 20, 2018
- Marquez: strategic victory… and yet another save! May 20, 2018
- Bagnaia reigns supreme in France May 20, 2018
- Marquez equals Stoner as Rossi gets back on the podium May 20, 2018