After two promising days in Austin, Iker Lecuona, made a great start on Sunday with a third-fastest time in the warm-up. In the race, the Spaniard, who started from 13th place on the grid, quickly set his pace against much more experienced rivals. In the sixth spot at the start of the final lap behind Brad Binder, he gave everything to take the advantage over the South African and score the best result of his Grand Prix career before going back home at the Jerez circuit.
The two Swiss Innovative Investors KTM team’s riders will be back on track in Andalusia from in two-week time for the first European round of the season.
Iker Lecuona (5th):
“I made a few tweaks to the bike in the warm-up to improve my feeling on the changes of direction. I finished the session in third, which was very promising for the race. I have lost a few places at the beginning, but step by step I was able to move up and get closer to the top. My lap times were consistent and I gave everything to follow Oliveira. I finally finished in fifth position, my best result! We will continue to work like this in Jerez.”
- Summer report: Johann Zarco - refresh and restart
- MotoGP™ Test Teams ready to hit the track at the KymiRing
- Horsman comes out on top in dramatic Race 2 duel
- Seabright storms Snetterton
- 2020 aero body regulations revised
- Summer report: Jack Miller - satellite star
- Catalonia: a motorcycle racer's haven?
- Still ten to go