It was not the Sunday many would have imagined for Team Del Conca Gresini Moto3, especially after yesterday’s strong performance in qualifying for Jorge Martin (pole) and Fabio Di Giannantonio (3rd place).
Jorge Martin was even less happy than his team mate: the young Spanish rider, who was among the protagonists of this weekend, was eliminated from the race with four laps to go by a reckless mistake – if that is the way to call it – from Canet, who came in very hot at turn 6 to take out Martin, Bastianini and Arbolino. It will be interesting to see if the Race Direction will take any disciplinary measure towards Canet and what it will eventually be.
With post-race x-rays showing no relevant injuries – although a CAT scan is still needed – Jorge Martin will now get ready for the next round on the calendar, which take place at Le Mans in a fortnight’s time. Hopefully Martin but surely Di Giannantonio will be on track in a few days for a private test at Motorland Aragón (May 9-10).
“It has been a very positive weekend for us: we were consistently at the front, and after yesterday’s pole we were doing the type of race we wanted. I felt good, I tried to pull away in the early stages but it was very hot and I preferred to save tyres and try to attack in the final laps. Unfortunately, Canet’s manoeuvre has ruined our race. It’s not the first time that he does something like that, so I believe some measures are necessary. My hands hurt but fortunately nothing is broken, so we’ll see if we can take part in the Aragón test this Wednesday and Thursday, otherwise we’ll be back on the bike at Le Mans.”
- Albert Arenas 1st in Le Mans May 20, 2018
- Disappointing race for Iker Lecuona in Le Mans May 20, 2018
- Jorge Lorenzo takes the flag in sixth place at Le Mans May 20, 2018
- Alex Rins reaches target in Le Mans May 20, 2018
- Tito Rabat leaves Le Mans without reward May 20, 2018
- Maverick Viñales 7th in Le Mans GP May 20, 2018
- Miller: “Seeing Marc the whole race was really nice” May 20, 2018
- Crutchlow: “They were panicking because I wanted to race!” May 20, 2018
- Contenders crash at Le Mans: Zarco, Dovi and Iannone May 20, 2018
- Marquez: strategic victory… and yet another save! May 20, 2018
- Bagnaia reigns supreme in France May 20, 2018
- Marquez equals Stoner as Rossi gets back on the podium May 20, 2018