There was no home race joy for Team Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS riders Álex Márquez and Joan Mir in today’s Spanish Grand Prix.
The capacity crowd at Jerez in Southern Spain had little to cheer about with Álex Márquez failing to finish and Joan Mir finishing in 11th place.
Márquez crashed out of third on lap 10 when he lost the front-end at turn two. At the time Márquez was in a close battle with eventual race winner Lorenzo Baldassarri and Miguel Oliveira who was second.
For Mir the race was a huge physical challenge with the young Spaniard weakened by a stomach illness, which he began to suffer before qualifying on Saturday.
Mir started from sixth on the grid and made a strong start to hold fifth for a couple of laps before fading with his physical condition. Mir’s brave performance delivered five valuable points in the world championship.
The next race is the French Grand Prix at Le Mans in two weeks.
Joan Mir: 11th
“I felt worse today with my illness than yesterday, my physical condition is not very good and I didn’t have very good feeling with my bike. It was a difficult weekend but this is racing. At the Mugello test I hope we can improve the turning and rear grip and be stronger for the next race in Le Mans.”
Álex Márquez: DNF
“I knew from the warm-up that I would be on the limit today and I tried my best to challenge for the podium. I was missing some rear grip and I did not have a good feeling from the second lap. I made a small mistake at turn two so I am sorry for the team. We have have a test coming up in Mugello so we need to focus on a solution and the next race in Le Mans.”
- Albert Arenas 1st in Le Mans May 20, 2018
- Disappointing race for Iker Lecuona in Le Mans May 20, 2018
- Jorge Lorenzo takes the flag in sixth place at Le Mans May 20, 2018
- Alex Rins reaches target in Le Mans May 20, 2018
- Tito Rabat leaves Le Mans without reward May 20, 2018
- Maverick Viñales 7th in Le Mans GP May 20, 2018
- Miller: “Seeing Marc the whole race was really nice” May 20, 2018
- Crutchlow: “They were panicking because I wanted to race!” May 20, 2018
- Contenders crash at Le Mans: Zarco, Dovi and Iannone May 20, 2018
- Marquez: strategic victory… and yet another save! May 20, 2018
- Bagnaia reigns supreme in France May 20, 2018
- Marquez equals Stoner as Rossi gets back on the podium May 20, 2018