The grid order for the French GP was decided this Saturday afternoon at Le Mans, with a third consecutive pole position going to Jorge Martín. The Spaniard was fastest in the qualifying session with a 1:42.039 lap, and will be joined by Jakub Kornfeil and Enea Bastianini on the front row. Ángel Nieto Team rider Albert Arenas will be on the second row for the French round. Arón Canet, tenth today, will start from the back of the grid after a penalty given to him for an incident at Jerez last time out.
The Ángel Nieto Team were strong in the qualifying session in France, with their riders taking spots on the second and third row of the grid, respectively. Albert Arenas equalled his best qualifying result to date, achieved last year at Le Mans in 2017. He will start from fifth, despite suffering a crash from which he escaped unharmed. Arenas has worked on his race pace throughout the weekend and hopes to stay with the frontrunners tomorrow.
5th Albert Arenas 1:42.214 (11 laps):
“We had a great qualifying session. We arrived at Le Mans having already ridden a fair bit after my injury, and with experience that is allowing us to get better all the time. We have some new parts from KTM, which also helps, and we have used our track time over the weekend in a different way so far. Despite the setback of a crash in the middle of qualifying, this did not prevent us us from improving and getting fifth place. I have a good pace and I am happy with this position. We started scoring points in Austin, now we will try to stay in the Top 10. When we have the opportunity we will start to talk about bigger goals.”
- Viñales fastest to turn the tables on Day 2
- Marquez heads Pol Espargaro mid-way through Day 2
- Avintia renew Ducati alliance to become satellite team
- Zarco "definitely a consideration" for Yamaha testing role
- Ciabatti gives bold thoughts on Petrucci and Miller rumours
- Valencia Test: Quartararo heads Yamaha trio after Day 1
- The Mike Hailwood of MotoGP™
- 2020 FIM MotoGP™ World Championship Provisional Entry Lists